Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I have a new found respect for valve springs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by MV, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Watch this:

It's the valve train of a BMW S1000RR, watching the springs slowly spin as they open & close too fast for the eye to see is fairly hypnotizing :)

2. What I find impressive is that a racing/high-power, high-rpm engine can have the lifespan that they do. Even the old CBR250RRs could get a reasonable lifespan on an engine which turns at 19k rpm.

Still, Im rather bored with piston engines. Too many uppy and downy bits, just not elegant.
  3. Electric bikes will be fun & elegant, I can't wait til they're affordable, awesome & have the range we need.
  4. You'll have to pry the IEC out of my cold, dead hands!! Well, actually, I'll still be pretty young by the time we have electric bikes as common. But still!!

Watching those two cam shafts turn around is pretty awesome. I never knew that the valve springs actually slowly spin around, at least that's what it looks like.
  5. Ive seen a video of a racing electric bike, Battery powered,

It goes like shit off a shovel, and is very competitive,

I just cant remember where it was, But it was last year,
  6. Probably Chip Yeates (sp?) superbike, that thing is f*cking fast.

ICE engines are fantastic & I can't see them going away in a hurry, but Electric bikes have so much potential, it's going to be great to watch it unfold.
  7. I keep trying to imagine being able to BOOT around in almost complete silence on an electric bike and keep coming to the conclusion that it'll be bloody awesome if only for a few reasons.
  8. Maybe the IOM Zero Emissions race? The Moto Czysz entry absolutely dominated. Thing looked pretty dam mean too.

Attached Files:

9. A month ago I came down the mountain from Thredbo with the engine off, in neutral. I still had to brake a lot. As I rode I thought about how utterly fantastic an electric bike will be. Still, I won't be giving up my thumps. There'll be a lot gained and a lot lost.

That was quite incredible to watch. It's amazing how robust these engines are given the action that we've just seen. It was fascinating also to watch the oil flow turn to a mist. From a messy squirting (I was wondering what Nitekreeper would be doing as he watched this in his fishnets).
  10. Lotus was playing around with engine-speed-controlled audio for hybrid cars that would be pi$$ easy to adapt and feed through helmet speakers. A switch on the bars and its a Ducati 900SS one minute, a 1963 Honda 250/6 the next, or a Velo single, or whatever. Okay, it won't shake like a Velo but your mind will do the rest!

Here's the background from Wikipedia:
    Lotus Engineering, a consultancy group of British sports carmaker Lotus Cars, partnered in 2009 with Harman Becker, a producer of audio systems, to develop and commercialize a synthetic automotive audio systems. Lotus has worked on a number of hybrid and electric vehicles and its engineers thought they would be safer if these vehicles made a noise while moving around the factory.[14] Originally developed to cancel out intrusive noises inside a car, the noise canceling system was adapted so that it could also simulate engine sounds that change with speed and use of the throttle, providing audible "feedback" to drivers of vehicles with a silent engine. At the same time, and through the addition of external speakers, the sound system allows pedestrians to hear the noise too, but optionally there can be a different sound within the car from the one that is emitted for the outside.[14] Lotus used a Toyota Prius to demonstrate the device but did not reveal if it intended to bring this technology to market.[37][38]

Lotus' synthetic sound system was incorporated in the Lotus Evora 414E Hybrid, a concept plug-in hybrid unveiled at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show. The system, called HALOsonic Internal and External Electronic Sound Synthesis, is a suite of noise solutions that uses patented technologies from Lotus and Harman International. The audio system generates engine sounds inside the vehicle through the audio system. The system also generates the external sound through speakers mounted at the front and rear to provide a warning to increase pedestrian safety. The system comes with four driver-selectable engine sounds, two of which have been designed to have characteristics of a multi-cylinder conventional V6 and V12 engine.
  11. Google "soundracer" See if you can find the review Loz did :)

Here ya go :)