Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I got SMIDSY'd (Without the kaboom)

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by PhilC, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Just had my first honest to doG SMIDSY, not 10 minutes ago and 2 minutes from home. I was just returning from a run up the Old Pacific Hwy and had turned onto Ryde Road, heading towards Hunters Hill.

There is a fair amount of tree cover on Bonnefin Road but plenty of visibility if you stop at the Give Way sign (or slow down).

I caught a glimpse of a car approaching the intersection as I was almost upon it. Just as a matter of course I swung from the centre of the lane to the right, buffering away in case they didn’t stop and making myself more visible through the movement. It’s 100% habit and today it saved me.

The car (a little white Mercedes hatch back) did not stop or slow at all, it simply came straight out from the intersection and almost T-boned me. Instead swerved and crossed the centre line by about a foot, washing off speed and quickly going from their front fender to safely behind them. Thankfully the road is quite wide at this point and since resurfacing the street they have removed the traffic islands. There was oncoming traffic but I had space.

I didn’t get on the horn until I’d already avoided them, but if they had been turning right instead of left I wouldn’t be typing this right now.

The car pulled over and I stopped behind them. The passenger got out first, an older gent.

“We’re so sorry, she’s so sorry, she didn’t see you.”
    I looked at him, “There are a lot of people that end up dead because someone ‘didn’t see them’.”, what else can I say?

He was very apologetic; he said his mate had been killed on a bike recently, at this point the driver got out of the car too, a woman of maybe 60. She too was very apologetic, repeating the words I was just glad to be upright to hear, “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you.”

I looked at them both, nothing more I could really say, the woman had got the best wake-up she could without actually hitting anybody and she was obviously shaken, as I left they were still there and it looked like it might take her a bit to gather her nerves.

I hope it makes her more vigilant, I hope it makes them tell their friends about how they nearly wrote me off when they get to bowls or lunch or wherever they were going.
  2. Glad you're okay. Well done on avoiding and pre-empting the situation. I posted a while ago on the dangers of approaching side streets - and this was one of those situations.

It just makes you wonder what these drivers are looking at when they 'check' both sides but fail to see a motorcycle.

Just yesterday afternoon, me about to turn right into a street, where there was already a car, i can see the driver doing his head checks - but i cover my brakes anyway. Lo and behold he begins to take off as i approach, then stops in the middle of the road as he finally notices me.

Lucky i was ready for it and went past him with ease, shaking my head along the way.

You may need to change your underpants but at least you're here to tell us about what happened!
  3. Good to hear you're alive. Also good to hear you've remembered from the training to move away from potential danger. Good stuff!

I've had my fair share of SMIDSY but everytime someone knows they're made a mistake (and I escaped from harm) and they're genuinely sorry about it, I'll kick and scream for 5 mins then let it go. But if someone acts like "what were you doing there in the first place? I'm a cager and I'm higher up on the road chain so you're wrong" I'm so tempted to rip off their side mirrors and give it to them as an early Christmas present.
  4. Glad you're here to share the experience.

As for something to say, the car didn't slow for a give way... That would have been useful to point out.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'