Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I drove up Pikes Peak in a Mustang

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ibast, Sep 18, 2007.

1. So I just got back from a trip to the states and I have to skyte to someone who will appreciate it.

For those that don't know what Pikes Peak is see this (warning video is likely to induce a chubby):

The road climbs from 6,500 feet to 14,115 feet over a 20 mile distance.

Having now done it, I'd have to say I have even more respect for the people who race there. The video really flattens it our

Here's a picture of the 'stang, which was actually a better car than I thought it would be:

2. Awwwww you biatch, don't think you posted this to notify me but I'm friggin' jealous all the same!

How'd the altitude go? Did you notice any change in the car's performance when the air got a bit thinner or was it all ok?
  3. People comments about the altitude at Denver which is 4000 feet. I didn't really notice there. By the time you get to 6000 feet you are starting to notice it yourself.

At the top of Pikes Peak you do nothing fast. You are pretty much gasping for air and headachy all the time.

As for the car, I got stuck behind another car for the last couple of thousand feet, so I wasn't giving it much. Not that I was able to use the cars peek performance anywhere on the climb.

so the FI pretty much was good enough. I crested a few 12,000 feet passes whilst I had it and it never really struggled, though you notice the fuel consumption.
  4. Sweeeeet.
  5. Not quite the Ari Peugeot rally car, eh???

Half your luck for having a chance to drive that awesome road in anything :)
  6. Barstard

I HATE you :p
  7. I also got to drink lots of Colorada beer on the trip. They take their beer very seriously, with lot's of brew-pups in Denver and a few in Colorado springs.
  8. fark I'd like a Mustang.

buying one in AU isnt that hard or expensive, but insuring them would cost far too much.
  9. Lucky bastard :p.
    So was the Mustang a rental? If so how much tread was left on the rear tyres by the time you gave it back ;).
  10. Nice ibast,

14000ft is the height specified at which oxygen masks must be used in unpressurised aircraft.

Do you smoke? If you do, at that height, you could get into a bit of a pickle - early onset of hypoxia if you stayed there long enough. Either that or if you were drunk :wink:

How long did the drive take?
  11. The Mustang was a rental. Auto unfortunately and also unfortunately only the v6. Though it went alright for that. It had enough grunt that you had to be careful if the road wasn't clean and dry to not have the rear wheels spinning.

I'd be keen to drive the v-8 version.

The brakes were good as was the handling. I drove a few mountain passes and had a few blind corners tighten up on me. The car just tucked in. The tyres were pretty ordinary too. With good tyres it'd be a nice ride. Quality was better than American cars I've driven in the past.

I don't smoke, but I'm not very fit, so the altitude did effect me. Also you do get drunker quicker, even at 4000 feet. By the time I had a look around at the top and took a few photo's on the way down and got tied up with a few cars the total up and back was about 1 3/4 hours.

They stop you on the way back down to check the temp of your brakes.
  12. Sounds like one hell of an experience.

Just had a look at some pics on google images, looks like an awesome area.

Was there any snow on the caps or wrong season?
    The temperature would have to have been below 28 degrees C (sea level) to have snow up at 14000' and of course enough moisture.
  13. ibast - I envy you! An ex boyfriend of mine had a red left hand drive mustang. We used to get up to all kinds of fun in that car. ;) :LOL:
  14. There was a bit of snow left over from last year, but when I got to the top I felt a bit of odd "dust" come in the window when I looked down it was white!

So it was just enough to form and have the odd speck sit on the car for about a minute before melting.

I was staying at Manitou springs just down the road and someone said the next morning that they were due for snow down to 9000. I got the impression, that by the end of September the Rocky mountains are pretty much starting to accumulate snow again.
  15. Sounds like an awesome time, mate! :grin:

Last year, on our honeymoon in the States, the Mrs and I got to drive the Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap, on the North Carolina / Tennessee border: 118 curves in 11 miles. It's a mecca for bikers. At the start of the Tail, there's a servo (with a huge parking area for bikes only), a bike repair shop and a motel. People go there for holidays, bikes on trailers or in their trucks, and just ride the roads in the area the whole time.

We did it in a Porsche 914 that was loaned to us by the friends we were staying with.

Outside the motel is the Tree of Shame. If you have an off on the Tail, you're supposed to leave a piece of your bike hanging in the tree. As you can see, there's been a few...

Awesome road, just begging to be carved-up! How could I refuse??? :wink:
  16. :-w i think im overdue for a holiday :p

Damn it though, Im not selling my bike again just to go overseas
    :( I sold my zzr250 to go to Dubai a year and a bit ago, my cbr600 isnt going anywhere :grin:
  17. On the bike side of things there were some things that caught my attention.

There were lots of Hardleys. Now this sounds obvious, but on my previous trips I hadn't noticed they were that big. So either they have got more popular or they are particularly popular in Colorado

People were seriously using there Hardleys. If I stopped to take a photo at a Mountain pas, chances are there was a Hardley there.

Very few people wear helmets. The few sports bike riders I saw wore them, but only the odd person wore an open face helmet on the Hardleys.
  18. I lived in Colorado for a while (ex-wife is from there), have been back and forth many times and have been up Pike's Peak several times - totally awesome place :) Hope you took the time to see some other things while you were there because there are some truly spectacular places to go!

And as for the HD scene - yes they are very popular in Colorado. Leaving aside the yuppy scene in Boulder, and the ski resorts like Vail and Aspen - and of course the fairly upmarket city of Denver - the bulk of the state is more or less red-neck central. The gun culture is huge, and in many places it is still very much the "wild west". HD is very well established and the biker image (which I use as their equivalent to our "bikie" term) fits in well with the lifestyle much of the state enjoys.
  19. Yeah I drove from Denver, through boulder to Esters park, then through Rocky mountain national park and then through to Steamboat Springs. Then I drove down to Aspen then round to Leadville. The road From Aspen throught to the turn off the Leadville is a nice drive and would be a really good ride.

Leadville is a town at 10000 feet. Then back to Denver.

The next bit of time I had off I based myself out of Manitou Springs. Nice place if you ignore the tacky touristy bit and embrace the arts culture and laid back attitude.
  20. Does doing it on Gran Turismo count.. :LOL: