Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I dropped my bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Scottie, Mar 12, 2007.

1. I dropped my bike just 10 minutes ago. :oops:
    I was turning right out of a side street, but then the bike stalled and started leaning to the right. I almost stopped it, but the bike was too heavy to lift back up so I let it down gently.
    Thankfully, an elderly gentleman who was working in his garden helped me get the bike up right so I could be on my way. :LOL:

I rode the rest of the way home with a bruised ego and a bruised shin. When I was inspecting the damage all the bike suffered was that a sticker on the fairing got scraped, a stratched mirror and a stratched brake lever.

And I've only had the bike for five days :cry:
  2. ah very bad luck mate happens to the best of us, both my bikes went down within pays of picking them up first one was just silly walking the bkie off the centre stand stand came up and whcked me in the shin and had a lapse in concentration and relaxed my grip on the bars, i ended up havingto do the same thing a carefully lower it to the ground
  3. You dropped your 250 after only having it for a few days!
    Oh my gosh! :shock:
    None of us have ever done that!
    Maybe you're not cut out for riding, dude :eek:

The best thing is you don't have to worry about scratching it anymore, so you can really get some riding done! :)
  4. GPX = Very tough

A few battle scars are nothing to worry about. As the saying goes, any drop you can ride away from is a good one.
  5. I dropped my gpx250 after having it for two weeks. I stalled turning into my driveway.
    What Ktulu said is correct, I guess the sooner you get your first drop over with and, obviously, the less damage involved the better. The first thing I did the next day was find an empty, quiet place to practice using the clutch.
  6. 5 months, no drop/incident yet... Damn maybe I just jinxed it..
  7. Re: :'(

FFS, you needed an old man to help you pick up a 250? :shock:
    Its a piece of [​IMG] if a girl can do it dude. [​IMG]

* Standing with your butt toward the seat, stoop down and with your right hand take the left grip.

* When you grab the grip, pull it until it is as close to the tank as possible. With your left hand find
    something sturdy to grab hold of under the seat. The closer your left hand is to your body the better.

* You place your butt mid way on the edge of the seat. This is CRUCIAL.

The placement of your butt too high or too low on the seat will not give you the leverage angle. You are
    pushing the bike with your butt and upper legs. You will have to pull up with your arms a bit butt mostly
    you will be pushing the bike up with your legs.

* You must have good traction under your feet or your feet will slip. If there is gravel under your feet
    sweep it away with your boots until you get dirt. Same for grass. Be careful not to push the bike over
    the other side :grin:

* Once you have the bike up, carefully put the side stand down and lower the bike to it.
    If you can't get to the side stand with the heel of your boot, turn carefully and grab both grips then put
    the bike on side or center stand.

The process is the same if the bike is on it's right side. But your hands are reversed, of course. Your LEFT HAND
    is on the RIGHT GRIP and your RIGHT HAND grabs UNDER THE SEAT.

Remember to put the side stand out first so that you can ease the bike onto it once it is upright.

By Carol Youorski whos 5'3 & 53kg. [​IMG]
  8. lol nice work MG...

I just found after my stacks I had:

1: enough adrenaline and enough embarrasment to get it up quick even after rolling

2: enough anger to pick it up wheel it off the road and crack the f'n sooks

aside from any direct instruction after dropping use that little FFS!!! note that's already in your head to get it up and away
  9. MG's technique is sound.

You'll want to make sure you're not in neutral though...
  10. Right on, MG.
  11. oh man, tough break
    "a bike's not a bike until it's been dropped" they told me at the dealership. after i told them about my brand-new 125 falling over in the garden in my FIRST DAY OF OWNERSHIP
    didn't i feel like a dick.
    but the grin soon came back :)
  12. Is the dodgy pink scarf optional or mandatory in this operation?
  13. Tough break Scottie.

Listen, the GPX LOVES to be revved. Don't be scared to rev it. If you're taking off with less than 4k, then you aint riding it at all! Keep the clutch in, give it healthy revs, and then let the clutch out slowly... slip it as much as you need to to keep the speed down.

I fondly remember my GPX - it lurrrvved to be revved... I also remember in the first week how scared I was to rev it - my only guideline was my car, which was over revving at 3000rpm - till someone told me the GPX lurved to be revved.

Are you getting my message bro??
  14. What revs were you riding around at with your gpx? When I first got mine, I was also scared to rev it, especially since it was still a very new bike, and stayed at around 4k. Now, I keep the revs around 6k.
  15. Keeping the revs between 4-5k
  16. Hey, I've got a Kawasaki GPX250 and live in Glen Waverley too. I'll wave if see you on the road (but not if you are going through a slow right hand turn!).
  17. Scottie, it unfortunately happens to most of us mortals.
    MG that was a great post, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
  18. I like the skirt :p
  19. I don't know if it luuuurves to be revved, but after riding bigger bikes, I find myself constantly revving mine to the max to be able to get anywhere...

Lil' screamer the GPX is, aye...
  20. I haven't dropped my bike, though I've laid it down when trying to put it on the secondary stands.. whatever you call it. Twice so far :p

Also came close to dropping it, when I try to do a full lock turn (left or right) and on gravel, i try not to put my feet down but sometimes I cannot pick up any more speed as the front wheel will just slide out from under me.. it is a bit hard but getting hang of it . sort of.