Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I dropped it... Again! (just a loong rant)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Spikes, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Booohooooo!!!!

I dropped my baby again! :S *heartbreak/-ache*

Was doing some emergency braking excersizes tonight at the Bunnings Parking lot (somewhere in Melbourne :D) and of course I got a bit excited cos the slower speed stops were going fairly well.. Did it from 40.. went pretty well. Did it from ~50, again, not bad..

Did it from somewhere between 55-60.. Slowed down a bit and the next thing I know I'm skidding all the way from here to Sydney!!!

I'm allright, got some street cred on my kevlar jeans on the knees and a small hole and some scuff marks on the jacket and boots..
    (Total Street Cred to date ~10pts)

4 people saw it (they were standing right next to it, watching me do my incredible e-break) and said I was on a straight line, nothing on the tarmac etc.. I didn't even touch the back break due to the fact that the last time (and the very first time) I did an e-break in traffic from 60, I frekking managed to lock the back wheel and, you guessed it, dropped it!
    We came to the conclusion that I fell cos I turned my wrist the wrong way, hence keeping the throttle on :/
    This time I actually skidded for 5m or so. (they tell me I was under the bike)

I'm ok, (surprisingly didn't even get a shock this time..Didn't even cry! ;) just a slightly bruised and swollen and stiff right knee, a slightly bruised ego and a WHOOOOOOOLE lotta humility gained from this. (and about 8pts worth of street cred)

My right blinker "glass" disappeared somewhere and the light itself didn't work.. And a few scratches here and there, but otherwise only cosmetic damage. Got a slightly different buld from the BP, so that's allright.. Incredibly, the damn thing still works! :-O

Still sucks balls tho :/

Learned to do emergency breaking practice, OFTEN.
    Also learned to practice the right wrist movement EVERY TIME I USE THE BRAKES.
    Aaand also learned to be patiend and repeat the e-break from even slower speeds over and over and OVER again, before moving to faster speeds...

Still a bit bummed out tho... *sigh*

Very much looking forward to Sunday and training with GreyBM :)

2. Don't be so hard on yourself. Far better that you drop it under controlled circumstances with people to help you afterwards than in the middle of an intersection.

And if I had $1 for every bike I see with tape around the indicator... well I'd have a lot of money.

And now that you know what it is like to lay it down at a bit of speed you won't be so scared of crashing, right? :)
  3. Right. Only braking hard at fast speeds when the light suddenly decides to go red on me, whic imhp is even worse :/

Thanks tho for the mental support and much needed tech support ;)
  4. Your on a motorbike, kick down a gear and GUN IT!! :biker:
  5. Why down a gear? Why??

Yeah. that's what I'll DEFINITELY do the next time! EEEEEEEXCELLENT advice :D
  6. For what it's worth, if you find that you happen to roll on the throttle a bit when you're braking hard, you're probably gripping the throttle a bit too "high". Try rotating your hand a little bit towards the ground before you take your grip on the throttle; It'll mean a little more effort to use the throttle, but you shouldn't have issues with trying to brake and throttle at the same time anymore.
  7. #7 shadowarrior, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    naah don't worry, you were doing it all right....shift body weight in front, hold on to the front brake firmly, and give some nice throttle.....nothing beats the sweet smell of burning rubber aye? :p

here is some motivational video for you :p

8. Omg thats rough...I think id almost cry if i dropped my bike...
    (now ur FB street cred status makes sense lol)

When I got my L's and my bike I went up to the parking lot and did a few 60 kms E brakes and then a few 80 kms ones( 80 was as fast as i could go in the parking lot b4 i reached the other side lol)...my bike u can pull up really tight with mainly frontbrake ( i use perhaps 10% of my rear brake ) and he is sweet...
    I was told to use my rear brake in gravel and around corners and to use mainly the front brake for anything else...
    I live in the country tho and all the roads surrounding my house are single lane 100 km zones so it was important for me to learn E braking at fast speeds, especially with all the suicidal Roos around here :-s
  9. Dont get too disheartened, its a BIG learning curve and takes a while to master. I would suggest you get in as much training and practice as you can, and give yourself a big pat on the back when you get something right, forget about the spills if you can...... I shudder to remember how many times I came off my bike during the learning stages, (oh my poor knees) and didnt think I would ever get the hang of it. Emergency braking is something I always need to work on, bikes dont stop as easily as cars. (I still dont think I am doing it right and am glad Im doing a Stay Upright course in a couple of months). You'll get it right, I promise!
  10. No, it was more like 8m, and you were beside the bike.

The main problem here was that you were not using the right technique from the start. Rolling your wrist forward as you bring the brake on (and practising from lower speeds more than you did) would have prevented this fall. I'm surprised they didn't teach you that at your Ls course; they did at mine.

It was not your fault but I was pretty impressed with your attitude afterwards. ...and you were not the only one to stuff up last night. Doing massive unintended stoppies from 60kph is not fun :eek:hno:

11. #11 shadowarrior, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  12. The key word here was "unintended".

13. Love your attitude, glad you're ok.

Ask GreyBM to do e-braking with you, technique is the most important thing.

Look forward to seeing you on the rides.

14. I've got a feeling that rolling the brake lever a little further forward might help too. We can look at it next time we ride. If you have to reach just a bit further forward to squeeze the brake you might be less inclined to roll the throttle on as you squeeze the brakes.

But if you practice good braking technique every time you stop at the lights, it will be more natural when you have to do it in an emergency.

And I still say bikes look better with a bit of black tape. :)
  15. We were taught at my pre-learners not so long ago to go "right-left,right-left", in other words front brake, clutch in, rear brake, and shift down in that sequence.

Would this help at all if you clutched shortly after applying front brake to negate any throttle roll?
  16. We're talking about emergency stops here - not slowing to a gradual halt. You want to use the engine braking for as long as you can, so you should pull the clutch at the last possible moment. It doesn't even matter if you forget the clutch entirely and stall, because it is better to stall than to run through the intersection and be collected by the oncoming traffic. (In fact, in Victoria the only time you are allowed to stall your bike during the license test is the quick stop, for that reason.)

I'd say focus on one thing first, which is the front brake. Get that under control before trying to downshift during an emergency stop.
  17. Engaging clutch would cut off your throttle, but remember, it will not make your bike go slow.
    However, if you are braking to stop, after the initial feathering of the front brake, half way through the final squeeze should be accompanied with engaging the clutch.
    This ensures two things:
    -cuts the throttle off (helps against throttle roll, but proper braking should NEVER have any throttle roll in the first place)
    -refrains the bike from stalling when you are stopped.

If you are just learning how to ride, avoid situations where you have to use emergency braking without the need of emergency. Most common for this are at the lights.
    The lights dont go red suddenly from green, theres this orange as well. If you see orange, don't try to run it, 'cos most probably you will change your mind .5metre beyond the lights, seeing a speedcam/lightcam/copcar/turning cars etc
    If you are approaching a signal, and you've seen it to be green for quite some time, its likely to go orange when you are 1m away from the lights, so start slowing down beforehand. Remember, just like you there are other cars waiting to turn from the opposite side, who would make a run at the orange. Avoiding these situations would keep you out of harm's way for some time till you master your bike and the basics of motorbiking.

Proper downshifting does help in slowing down, or the small needed burst to over take. Engine braking also wears your engine faster, something you don't want if you are planning to keep the bike for long. If you are new to motorbiking, I would not suggest you to do that. If you are trying to stop the bike by downshifting in an emergency situation where both the brakes are functioning, it can lead to some bad situations if you don't know how to. Remember the bikes brakes are more powerful than the engine in regards to force. For you right now, always remember, Engines are there to move the bike, and ONLY the brakes are there to stop it.
    When you are confident enough about your bike, go ahead and engine brake out of corners ;)
  18. Yep, the sequence I described was what was taught to us here in nsw for emergency braking, at least where I went to do the course.

I was surprised at the sequence too, would've thought front brake, then rear. But I guess the clutch 2nd is in case you do fail to roll off the throttle in the panic moment. I'm not sure that engine braking is going to add much to e-braking so it makes sense to me.

The downshifting part is only right near the end of the braking to quickly click down to first, not letting clutch out again. Its not part of the braking as such, just prep for whats next.

The ideal ending situation supposedly is to end up in the "ready" position (motor running, clutch in, in first gear) ready to move again straight away and avoid being rear ended yourself.
  19. live by the motto live and learn and learn from your mistakes, best advice in life
  20. MAN I wish someone had got it on video. GEEEEZZZZ!!!!
    Thanks Ali for lowering the brake lever a little, (wouldn't move much tho.. Stupid steering handles!) hope that'll help me get the hang of it faster.

I wonder if I should attach a little note saying "roll wrist FORWARD!!!!!" on my brake lever :cool: