Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I can drive again!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by undii, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Well I haven't been able to drive a car since my off last March due to my right arm being in a sling to be 'stable'. Anyway, last week I had a spinner knob installed on the car (think forklift) due to having a couple lessons with one and easily 'passing' them. It's such a dream to drive with one on the steering wheel and I gotta say, it is a LOT easier to park with one. We've noticed my parking is about half the time as usual and I've always been 100% lined up with the lines I am parking in. I wasn't slow when it came to parking before but now using the spinner knob, I can spin the wheel quicker and be more precise as needed. WIN WIN WIN :grin:

I think I will keep it on after my arm heals as it can easily be pulled out so the steering wheel is normal and put it in when I get in crazy car parks. I have a big car, EF Falcon sedan so sometimes it isn't the easiest to park in some car park spaces but using the spinner knob makes it a hell of a lot easier. For anyone who has only use of one arm for any reason and doesn't feel confident to drive, I can highly recommend the use of a spinner knob on the wheel to help. And as stated, I can park quicker with the use of only one arm now :LOL:

Basically it looks like this:

*edit* Of course riding is still 10000000000000000 times more fun/better to do but sometimes I need to use a car for stuff (like shopping/camping) so now the hard work isn't always put on to Emma (my girlfriend) whenever we need to use the car for something.
  2. Woohoo undii....can imagine how much thats gonna put a smile back on your face... :grin: :LOL: :grin:

Thats awesome news..hope your arm is getting better *mwah*
  3. :D

Dear undii,

Thank you for the thrilling review of your big, black knob you like to play with while you're in the car.

Best Regards,

The Netrider Community
  4. :LOL: @ Ktulu.

Undii, great stuff mate, couple of friends with spinal injuries use these and they are awesome, like you said, dead easy to use, probably should be on many more peoples cars.
  5. Hey, excellent news! :grin:

I'm glad you're enjoying the freedom of driving around with your hand on your knob. :)
  6. I'm sure yours won't be the only car on the road with a knob attached to the wheel - seems to be a pretty common feature with modified cars.
  7. C'mon, guys, this is a serious thread......
    Good news, wazza :)
  8. wazza, that is great news. :)

and keep up the healing :D
  9. Good news buddy. Least you have increased ya mobililty & decreased your
    dependance on others to get around.

How much longer do you think it'll be before youre fit enough to ride again?
  10. Pretty common item on forklifts as well.

Good to see your mobility is returning.
  11. :rofl:

On a serious note... great news on your progress! Congrats! :grin:
  12. My dad used to have one in is old HQ. I thought it was well handy and am surprised that more people dont have one :)

Congrats on getting back on the road!
  13. I am getting one of them for my Dodge ute...6.5 turns lock to lock, non assisted, but very light due to the gearing.
    Just a warning, don't use teh knob at highway speeds, they have a tendency to cause weaving etc.

Regards, Andrew.
  14. Great stuff undii! Enjoy your independance. :)