Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I.C.E (In Case of Emergency)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TheRuss, Jul 12, 2010.

1. This is a bit of an older campaign, but is always going to be relevant.
    I'd like to reccommend that all NetRider's (and everyone in general, really) participate in it. It's also possibly something that anyone who ever leads a ride should request of their followers!! We often go on group rides with first-timers and people we don't know very well - Implementing this program ensure the TEC has someone to call (other than the ambulance) if required.

Rather than re-invent the wheel here, I'll just say that Telstra's advice is as good as anyone else's:

How does ICE work?

Simply enter the acronym ICE - for In Case of Emergency - into your mobile's address book and list the name and number of the person you want to be contacted in an emergency. It could be a family member, close friend or even your doctor.

You could also store your blood type and other relevant information under your ICE entry in some handsets that allow notes in the contacts section.

How could ICE help?

Having ICE in your mobile phone may make it quicker and easier for emergency services workers or passers by to get in contact with someone you want and who can help with vital information.

How should I choose my ICE contact?

Ideally your ICE contact should know your basic medical information, such as blood type and allergies and be able to help emergency services make decisions if needed.

When could ICE information help?

An ICE contact may be helpful not only in major accidents and emergencies, but anytime you get into difficulty, such as if you have a bad tumble or a sudden asthma attack. It could also help reassure family members of those at higher risk such as the elderly and those with an illness.

Who supports the Australian ICE campaign?

Many Australian emergency organisations have thrown their support behind the ICE campaign and Telstra's education efforts.

What if a mobile phone is locked or needs a password to activate it?

Many mobile handsets are simply key-locked and can be accessed by pressing two keys. However it's correct that some phones need a password to activate and that is why Telstra recommends that people do not ever rely solely on a mobile phone during emergencies

Mods: Any chance of a sticky?
  2. I've already purchased a set of these and I highly recommend them - I'm in a defacto relationship so my spouse doesn't share my surname, this takes the effort out of contacting people if the worst happens...

I also included my MIL and a close friend on the tags - all are aware of it and all have each others numbers should the occasion arise...
  3. you purchased what?

i didn't see anything about the above post being something you buy?

it's just typing it into your phone?? or did i miss something!?
  4. I can't see it either lowercase... I'm assuming he posted a pic that we can't see...

From the text, I deduce that he's talking about engraved dog tags(?), which have the added benefits over the ICE program of never runing out of battery or being password protected! :p :)
  5. Ah... that might make sense.
  6. I have an ICE card in my wallet and one in pocket on my leathers. My phone also has an ICE app on the main screen which auto dials or provides info needed.

Stupid not to have this stuff-I've been the one making the call a few times, and it's stressful, not knowing who to call. And in both cases it was critical.
  7. yep its a good idea to make an ICE card for your wallet. This goes beyond just what a license will tell police. It should include a few numbers of various people you know, like family, your boss, a person from school, someone you went to uni with, a guy on your cricket team etc.

I know if I had a crash and my phone was ruined, a lot of people would never know what happened to me as my family dont know a lot of the people I hang out with. I guess this is where facebook is handy as well.
  8. Great idea for a thread! I've had my ICE contact in my phone for years now after I first heard about it.
  9. Might make a set of I.C.E tags for myself. Ask a metal dealer/engineering place if they have any ofcuts and buy a set of these
    Be cheaper than order a set online and you an make as many as you like... would cost a fortune for me to get a new set of tags each time my emegency contaxts changed thier numbers.
    Make one for a key ring, put one on a neck chain, maybe one on the bike somewhere
  10. That'll teach me for not reading the whole thread...](*,)

I was referring to ICE cards - I'll just shut up now... :D
  11. I used to have my blood type stuck on the front chin bar of my helmet..........

Some riding mates for some reason got concerned every time they saw it....... :/
  12. I want my helmet to have the stickers "do not remove helmet in accident - wait for paramedics to arrive" and my blood type, along with my dads phone number...

paranoid much?
  13. i dont know with everyone else's phones but with mine (nokia) if i have the persons entry and then another ICE entry with the same number it gets confused and doesn't display the caller ID.

I've put "ICE 1 - See XYZ" and ice 2 and so on and so fourth.

Does anyone else do this or do you just change the original entry of your ICE contact?
  14. I am looking at getting dog tags and or a key ring for the bike key.
    They have a US military style tag set- 2 tags for $20, which is what I would be looking at. Put one on as a necklace and the 2nd on the bike key - they have a rubber surround which I reckone would stop the scratching.

I would set it up like
    My name
    ICE name
    Ice number 1
    Ice number 2

If you have medical conditions wouldn't be a bad idea to get 2 sets, one for ICE details one for medial - or a medical alert bracelet.
  15. this is such a good idea, have any of you guys been on the recieving end?
  16. I can tell you from experience they never contact an ICE in your phone, and are reluctent to call ICE cards. They give any details available to them( like in wallet,. registration of the cars involved in the crash leading to your licence (licence in your wallet, medicare, ect to the police and they handle it through official channels (not sure what that acrually is 8-[) they will also ignore any "blood type" you write on keychain ect. they give you O- blood (compatible with most people) untill official results on your blood type are available. They can't afford to get it wrong!! They may use it if O- is not available.. but not unless you are seriously in need
  17. I have B+ tattooed on my chest next to my heart.
  18. Why would they ignore your blood type? O- is almost constantly in short supply, if they could give me B+ straight away instead, why not?
  19. they don't know it's right, egghead