Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I brought my First Bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Paulie, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Hey All!

After an ill fated trip to hornsby to look at a supposedly "Good condition" gpx250 I have finally found my new bike!

Its a 1989 Kawasaki GPX250R (import). 3 months ago the entire engine was cleaned up with all seals replaced, frame was rubbed back and resprayed along with evereything else. It has a custom candy apple red paint job with purple on the back and below. Its so hot! bargain price! I will post pics soon!

I picked it up today and have been just fanging it around the local neighbourhood proudly displaying my L plate which I was lucky enough to survive through the 2 day pre learner course to acquire!

Hope to see you guys on the road! I'm so in love with this thing!

Oh, 1 question... (probably wrong section to ask and stupid question anyways) But when I hit 80km an hour a red light comes on that says SPEED.... why does it do this? is it possible to change it so it comes on at say 100 instead?

Thanks all!

:D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

p.s I'm so excited!
  2. Hey congrats on your new baby!!!!!!!

may you have many happy kilometers together.

btw, arnt L and early P platers restricted to 80ks in NSW?
  3. 80ks?...yeah....I had to make sure it didnt stop accelerating after 80 when the light came on! hehe
  4. well it would suck if it did Paulie.

I just moved up to Wagga from Melbourne and It took me a while to work out the 2 different P plates,
    80k restriction!!!!!!!! thats gotta be far more dangerous then sitting on the speed limit in traffic!!!!!

oh well it dosent affect me :)
  5. Congrats on the bike, always gladdens my heart to see another Kwaka in here,
  6. hehe thanks dude! I've wanted a kawasaki since I was like 12 years old! only took me 11 years to get one
  7. Most definately, good choice of machine too.
  8. L's = 80KM/H
    P's = 90KM/H
    Green P's (cage) = 100KM/H
    Blacks/open = Unrestricted
  9. Yeah, I too reckon the slower speed limit is probably just as dangerous as travelling at 100km/h. Especially on a motorcycle - you're likely to cop a fair bit of road rage.

Nice bike Paulie - would love to see that paint! Look after her, she'll look after you. :)
  10. congratualtions on the bike paulie. paintjob sounds good! hope the bike treats you well and theres no mishaps. mmm. the 80 km/h on Ls is fair enough i reckon, since you don't do heavy highway riding on your Ls, but the other restrictions are stupid. theres not much point even trying to head out on the highway unless you're prepared to break the speed limit :wink: although i the coppers are really only interested in busting the wog chariots/turbo 4s etc and don't pay much attention to bikes unless theyre breaking the signposted limit. they should just limit the capacity of the car/bike you ride/drive.
  11. Really? When I was on my Ls, I rode on the highway every day! I think the two months I actually had a bike for my Ls, I clocked up around 7,000km (8?) - and there was a fair bit of highway travel in that! I'm just glad we don't have crazy laws like that down here.

Tell me, now that I'm on a restricted license (not Ps) would I still have the speed restriction in NSW? Or is it a completely different system?
  12. good purchase, good bike, good one! :)
  13. hmm. not sure what you mean tenoq. motorbikes have Ps in NSW but only red Ps for 1 year which are restricted to 90 km/h. then you're free to get whatever bike and do whatever speed is legal :p . do you have to display plates at all? if not then i guess you can do what you want really, so long as you don't break the posted speed limit and get pulled over. and i'm not saying you shouldn't ride on the highway on your Ls, its important leanring, but they make it damn hard with an 80 km/h restriction.
  14. Where is the PICS? lolz
    Congrats Paulie on the new bike - how much did you get it for? I'm thinking of getting a GPX250 as well now. :)
  15. v. bought, (bôt) buy·ing, buys
    v. tr.

1. To acquire in exchange for money or its equivalent; purchase.
    2. To be capable of purchasing:
    3. To acquire by sacrifice, exchange, or trade:
    4. To bribe: tried to buy a judge.
    brought, (brôt) bring·ing, brings

1. To carry, convey, lead, or cause to go along to another place:
    2. To carry as an attribute or contribution:
    3. To lead or force into a specified state, situation, or location

Here concludes our English lesson.

Bah..........bugger that shit

Stay safe :)
  16. hehehe thanks all!

I was looking on the forums here but couldnt find an upload photo thingy.. cause i was gonna post a few happy snaps of the bike....

oh, in regards to the english lesson... I was excited and typing quickly. I shall refrain from incurring any subsequent spelling errors in the future. :p