Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I botched a bolt. Bad

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Danielm8, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Hey riders,
    So a few weeks ago, while doing some repairs on my bike in the dark at midnight, I managed to round off a bolt. It just so happens that it was a bolt I actually do need removed.

So long story short, I am trying to take the water pump off my hyosung to replace it. I was taking a bolt off in the dark and managed to strip it (I know. I know).

Because of didn't have the tools I needed, I decided to make it worse then worse. Then worse

Now I have an absolutely butchered bolt and no idea how to get it out.

Just wondering if you guys have e any tips or tricks for removing a badly buggered bolt.

Or even, if someone would be able to come give me a hand in Mont Albert north. Can compensate with many genuine thank yous.... And a box of beer.

I've been bikeless for over 2 months. I'm having withdrawal symptoms

2. There are a number of ways to remove a butchered bolt. Google is your friend and there should be YouTube videos.

You could try cutting a slot in the bolt and then using a screw driver. You could try re-squaring the rounded section with a file and then using a smaller socket or ring spanner or you could try using a bolt extractor.

Whichever technique you decide to try I would use a liberal dose of WD-40 or the like first in the hopes of loosening up and I would give the bolt a tap now and then to try to break any rusted or seized section of thread.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. I don't think I can post an image attachment yet because I'm a new member. :(

Thanks for your advice. I've gone to town on it with CRC and attempted to file the edges. I can't cut a slot as I don't have a suite saw and there's no super cheap auto near me. But that might be the way to go.

I'm hoping someone on here can offer a hand before I go buy more tools. I've already spent over $6 on bolt extractors, files etc. And nothing has done the trick.
  4. If you've rounded the bolt head and the bolt head is still attached to the bolt, google "flank drive socket". They grip the flats of the bolt head, not the corners. So they work very well on rounded bolts. Not too $$$. Can buy them individually or as a set. They're great. If the bolt head has snapped off, DO NOT try to extract it with an EzyOut. They are evil. Grab a reverse drill bit (they spin the opposite way to a normal bit) and drill it out. Chances are the bit will grip the broken stud and wind it out. Ezy Outs (on small fasteners especially) have a nasty habit of wedging in, expanding the bolt jamming it even tighter, then snapping off.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. Is the head still on the bolt? If its sheered off, is it level with the surface?
  6. I have had success removing rounded off bolts with locking pliers (Vice Grips). Of course that is dependent on having the room to get them on the bolt head
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Cutting a slot with an angle grinder then unscrewing with a flat blade is a good one. I've snapped easy-outs in bolts before and they're even harder to drill out than the hole you had to drill to get the easy-out in... A reverse fluted drill bit is the ticket if you can't get a slot cut in the exposed head.

I've been thinking for a while about inventing a socket that grips rounded bolts in the same way an oil filter wrench grips the filter. The more torque you apply the tighter it grips... Surely there's some money to be made there!

Good luck with the bolt mate
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. As mentioned before if you have room for a vice grip go for it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. That's not a bad idea: A socket with a sawtooth arrangement on the inside that digs in the harder you push could work. Might be useful for snapping more bolt heads off, though. The flank drive sockets achieve the same sort of thing anyway. Be a good tool to have if you could make it so the one socket fits a range of sizes. That'd be cool.

Sometimes the bolt head will snap off despite your best efforts. If that's the case, and you're lucky, just the head will come off, leaving the stud in place. Then you can remove the part it was holding and go to work on the stud with the vice grips and locally applied heat. If you're unlucky, it snaps of flush with the part surface and it's time to get drilly. Centre punch the hole to guide the drill in, start with small drill bit and work your way up. Again, the left hand bits are worth trying. Broken fasteners are character building but not fun. good luck.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Actually I would be trying the flank drive socket first if the bolt is not too rounded. It is always better to try the less extreme measures first.

If you go down the cutting a slot and using a screw driver, it can be difficult to exert enough downwards force on the bolt while turning the screw driver if you just do it in the normal way. What I like to do is put a shifter on the flat blade of the screwdriver above where it is slotted into the bolt, that way you cab use considerable force to push the screwdriver home while you use the shifter as a lever to turn the bolt.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. hmmm $6 hey lol
    • Agree Agree x 5
  12. #13 Wheres me Boike, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    If the head of the bolt is too stuffed, grind it off, flat to the water pump. Then remove the rest of the bolts and remove the pump. Then grab the stump with a vise grip and remove. (grap it really tight, you only get one crack at it.)
    Then get a new bolt.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. You can buy them. They look like a nut with 6 left hand spiral flutes on the inside. The more you tighten, the more they turn down onto the head. I have one for mangled wheel nuts.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. If the head is still on, then just file 2 flats on it.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. A steady hand and a Dremel tool to cut a slot, then use an impact driver to remove. AFTER first trying the Flank grip socket or Vice grip.

I don't like "easy outs" - I'm with gizzogizzo

I took a tough one (engine stud) to an engineer once. He welded an attachment onto the broken bit and turned it out with that. It was recessed into the head where it was broken. Way beyond my talent.

I'm happy to pay for the additional skill when it is required.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. so dude, what happened?
  17. Danielm8Danielm8 boogered a bolt head. I was dropped on my head as a baby.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. sorry gizzogizzo, not sure why I quoted your post. I was wanting to know if the OP removed the bolt or not.

oh Danielm8Danielm8, are you there???