Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I applied lube to a wet chain...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Spud Gun, Mar 13, 2006.

1. I decided to wash my bike over the weekend. In the mddle of washing I got distracted by being lectured by my new neighbour on the use of water (I was filling a bucket from a hose), so I left out a step. I degreased the chain (citrus degreaser), washed the chain with cold water, forgot to dry it and then applied lube. I am probably being neurotic, but will having moisture beneath a generous layer of grease cause problems with the chain? I imagine it will be ok once I have run it in for a bit, but should the chain be dry before applying lube? Should I leave the chain to air dry first?

2. It be fine, mon.

Eggs and beer can.
  3. I think it depends on the type of lubrican you use. I don't think you will run into too much strife, I use an ELF product, which seems to bond to the chain regardless of water, as I too re-grease the chain after each wash or per 500km , which ever comes first.
  4. I was told to grease the chain between 300 and 500KMs of riding. I use a generic tub of bluish grease that is for cars, boats, bikes, etc. Quite thick stuff, and I applied lots of it. I am a bit concerned that the O rings might be affected with moisture held against them with no way out.
  5. Well if you're that worried go and do it again!

/It be fine, mon.
  6. I'd probably give it another treatment of lube just to be safe, but I doubt it'd cause any problems.
  7. Go for a 5 minute ride beforehand like you should've the first time to warm the chain before you lube it. :)
  8. you should be ok m8, if it worries you like others said just do again !

had a similar conversation about water useage with my neighbour yesterday arvo also.. 1 buket of water & on the grass in the afternoon.. c-mon
  9. First off, I woulda told "my new neighbour" to go screw him/herself.
    Mind their own business!!!!
    Ring water co. explain you need an exemption for some instant turf and they'll post it to you. :wink: next time your neighbour says something... smack em across the head with it!

I hate nosey neighbours more than bad drivers!

Reckon your chain will be fine dude! :)
  10. Bloody nosey neighbour next time put the hose in his mouth and give the shit head a good flushing :p
  11. I dont know anyone else who puts grease on the chain, dosnt it fling off everywhere? Probably great for the chain though.

Dont worry about cleaning it too often, it will probably do it more harm than good.
    Just a clean every oil change to keep the dirt from piling up.

You mostly just need to keep the o-rings lubricated to keep it healthy.

Less than $150 for chain and sprockets on a learner bike, so is all the effort and time of keeping it perfect even worth it?
    Id rather save all the time and just get a nice shiny new chain a bit sooner.
    Next bikes getting a scottoiler I think :grin:
  12. I personaly wouldn't use a degreaser that required water to remove on amy metal parts I didn't want to corrode.
    Next time, use kerosene and a paint brush AFTER wasking the bike. The kerosene wil clean the old gunk off quite well and chase off all the water before you LIGHTLY grease or oil the chain. Excess lubricant just gets thrown off. If you do this whilst teh bike is on teh sidestand, and walk it through to do each section, there is no way you will get grease or kerosene on your tyre or rim.
    I don't like heavy greases on things like chains( or anything exposed to teh elments), they hold crud too well and are a bugger to remove and reapply. I like the lighter oils, which can be flushed off(along with teh crud) with a fresh application of oil.
    Remember it's not so much lack of lubricant that causes chain wear (we have rollers on the chain= bugger all wear) but dirt being caught between roller and sprockets.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. jmuzz, couple of things to think about:

grease is like a really thick oil - flings less than oil, particularly hot oil

with chains in the past, one used to put the chain in a pan with the grease and then put the lot on the stove/fire for a while.

you are right about orings needing to be clean, but think about whether every oil change is ok if you ride in the rain/dusty places etc - automatic oilers are great for keeping the chain clean, but does leave a little more mess on the wheel than just dribbling some gear oil on everynow and then - bonus however is that the thin fluid (i use atf in mine) comes off much more easily.

Looking after your chain can mean much more than just a longer life - getting you home is a good example! I'd much rather look after my chains and replace them prophelactically rather than having to call aaa because you got stuck somewhere with a busted one.

typhoon: no idea what your Z is like, but i know a zzr and my xx will fling oil from the chain onto the wheel - it doesn't just fling off into nowhere.
  14. I was referring to removing the oil/grease that was on the chain already. I know that oil/grease makes it's way onto the rim when the bike is moving.
    I made the point that cleaning the chain whilst on the sidestand makes it a lot easier to get all the grud off without getting it on the wheel/ tyre.

Regards, Andrew.
  15. I read some where that old school bikes had inclosed chains that ran through oil, these would last..well ages, any one confirm? i realy dont know why they got rid of em.
  16. Dont know of any that ran in oil, I would imagine that that would be a little difficult to manage ,however some early model B.S.A Gold Flashes (and no doubt others ) did have an enclosed chain, which was designed to keep the chain clean etc etc but from memery all they did was encoutage the rider /owner not to maintane them

It is a little hard to see it but it is there
    Cheers Ash
  17. i dont know about bikes... but there is industrial use of chains going through pools of oil...
  18. I don't think I like the sound of using ordinary grease on the chain, for two reasons.
    Firstly, chain lube in a can comes out as a liquid, which allows it to penetrate the o-ring seals and give good coverage. The hydrocarbon propellants then evaporate and the remaining goo sticks to the surface.
    Grease may eventually work it's way into all the affected surfaces, but it's a bit hit and miss. I don't have proof - just surmising.
    Secondly, there may be a risk of grease flinging off and finding its way onto the road surface of the tyre, I would have thought. At least chain lube is sticky rather than slippery.