Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I am so new that I don't even

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by yellowjacketb, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Did you know that if you're a learner and you have a hi-viz yellow leather jacket, you still have to wear a hi-viz vest over it? I asked this question of my instructor at HART. He thought about it for a couple of moments, and then his eyes watered as he fought back his mirth and croaked out: "...Yes."

So not only is my ride back from the dealer on the 19th going to be terrifying, I am going to be flaming yellow. Two layers of yellow. I have decided that my battle cry (as I ride something that goes over 40km/h for the first time in my life) will be: "I AM REDUNDANCY MAANNNN!"

So now you're going to know who to look for at these Learner Group rides: some hilariously over-vizzed noob with on a red VTR250.

I'm a very experienced cyclist, but have never gotten my car license. This is basically because I got into a car to try to learn how to drive and immediately became this:

So now I am just barely certified to pilot a high-speed horse-rocket through the streets of Melbourne in a high stakes game of Frogger. I'm sure I will be on Netrider a lot as the kilometers roll in and I slowly morph into a portly old gent sailing resplendent on his cruiser down interstate freeways, mustache rippling in the breeze, visor tinted by the rising sun.

That is... assuming I make it home from the dealership.

We'll see about that one.

Here's my bike! :D

Greetings, Netrider Forums. I am in you.
    • Like Like x 13
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Welcome to Netrider! Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?
  3. Welcome, nice intro.
    Example bike pic? Rear disk looks... Well unused?
  4. Welcome to the world of motorbikes and to NR..

As above, the rear disc looks very rusty.

Better get that checked out.

Hope all goes well for you.
  5. Very eloquent introduction. You've raised the IQ of the joint several points I reckon.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes great intro, and I'll watch NASA Live TV on your pickup day - I hear you'll be so bright that you're visible from the moon.
  8. you need to get yourself to Saturday practice my friend
  9. welcome and enjoy
  10. Reservoir. But only recently: I spent the last 3 years travelling the world full-time as a journo, and now I am trying to settle down for at least two years before jetting off again.

Yeah, there is some rust on that disk, but it's pretty superficial. I took Mr VTR for a test ride and had no troubles with braking (that photo was taken before I got on). My more experienced rider friends reckon that will come off with use of the rear brake, and if there's any deeper pitting, I'll replace the disc.

In all seriousness, though, I plan on at least a month to train myself in and for traffic before I really go anywhere on it, both because I have very limited traffic experience on anything other than a bicycle, and because that gives me time to see if there's anything that needs fixing before it falls off the bike at high speed.
  11. Welcome mate.

You say you become a grumpy pussy in a car huh? :)

Enjoy your new ride, and as above, use that rear brake!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Howdy fellow VTR rider! Have fun and learn lots. And of course welcome to NR. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  13. That is exactly completely correct.
  14. Hello yellowjacketbyellowjacketb and welcome to the forums and life on two wheels, this time powered by a motor :)

Thank you for putting things into perspective for me, I thought that wearing my fluoro-yellow on top of my black jacket was bad. Until I tried to imagine double yellow.... If my yellow jacket (nice name too btw) was not bright enough, I'd accentuate with "lil bit" of fluoro on top. Priceless!
  15. I think you guys have it wrong.

The hi Vis vest is there to protect your jacket while you learn.

Just like plastic on a couch, a rug on the floor, a condom on your....

It's all to protect what's underneath!
    • Funny Funny x 5
  16. It's just like double rainbow, but more yellow.

I figure I might as well embrace it for the 6 months I have do this. I could even take my own advice and write 'Dainese' on the back of the vest in Sharpie.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks offtrackofftrack! Never thought of my hi-viz in that way. My licence test can't come soon enough...
  18. your from Sydney
    arnt you
  19. Melbourne: City of Sin.
  20. If you jacket has any of the following tags on it [ AS/NZS 4602.1:2011, ISO20471, EN20471, ANSI/ISEA 207-2011 or ANSI/ISEA 107-2010]
    then you may be able to stop "waving" the double yellows. You only have to wear a safety vest or jacket that complies with those standards. Although probably a good idea to carry around printed copy of the VICROADS advice

(Ref: A new motorcycle graduated licensing system : VicRoads