Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I am another newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Monkeylad, Jan 7, 2015.

1. G'day to the netriders, I am just about to buy a new Nomad. I am in my forties and have had motorbikes for over thirty years off and on! Bikes are always changing but I love riding and now want to share it with my wife and kids, so after many test rides on many bikes (tourers and cruisers), big and small, I have decided to buy a new Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700. I know it is a big bike but I am a tad chubby!! I have a bad hip from previous racing accident so I love the low bikes (cruisers), I want new (I have saved the cash) so I don't have to worry about the history, and if I play my cards right I will trade the bike in every five years for a new one, is this a wise decision?
    I look forward to hearing the different opinions of people around this wide land we love to ride in.

2. Welcome mate, enjoy the new ride!

As to whether it's a good decision to trade in every 5 years - if you can afford it easily why not. If it's a case of saving up to do so, maybe not? You'll be taking a depreciation hit every 5 yrs plus new rego costs etc. What is the resale market like for this type of bike, how much would you lose off new price, etc, are all things to consider.

While rolling cars over every few years is common as they can be salary sacrificed or otherwise "financed" by businesses, I'm not sure that's possible with bikes. Maybe someone else knows...
  3. Welcome mate - if you can afford it why not!