Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I actually wore one of my helmets today

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Takamii, Jan 23, 2011.

1. because i went for a ride

picked up a 2008 WR250X with only 2300kms on it and some extras such as protaper bars , full exhaust some bling etc for a good deal ( lets say less that half price of a new 2010 model)

next mods - frame axle and muffler sliders
    and a steering dampener because these motards are twitchy compared to the r1

and thats it no mods after that unless they are purely cosmetic bling and on the cheap

I also squided because I wore no gloves and no jacket and honestly the 250cc doesnt scare me like the R1 did

is the bike good - I like it - big drop in power but for messing around in the city and freeways at 100 kmph its fine and does the job - I would recommend one to a learner because simply if you want a bike you can ride park in the garage and get on and ride again without thinking to much about maintenance etc this is the unit for you - with vlaves not needing to be looked at untill 25,000 to 30,000 kms you save money - this is why I bought it

change the oil and filter yourself at every 6-8000kms save a few $$ and easy to do

no need to worry about ignition or carbs etc because the fuel injection is there

in other words just jump on and ride

most likely will replace or add to the WR250X with a R1 come end of winter time this year - already have a buyer for the 250 as well which is my house mate he is just starting out in bikes and he wears everything bright yellow - even one of my helmets painted florescent yellow/lime green for safety
    so cant loose really

oh and the helmet review

"fark their light " LOL
  2. The beauty of a 250. So easy to flick around.
    Still cant wait to get off mine and on an 800 though :p.
  3. I'm happy for you and hope it all goes well.
    So will you be cornering like this
    or like this
    or doing a bit off this?
    and a bit of that
  4. first two I can do resman - last two is what I want to learn :)
  5. That's what I'm talking about Takamii man. The endo, smoko and front lifto.
  6. the last one is easy, the hard bit is stopping the ground hitting you in the face..
  7. wr250x dont need steering dampner. slows the steering too much. the quickness of the steering compared to a big bike is why motards are win.
  8. Grats on finally being able to afford getting back on one~
  9. Thanks - I really can not afford it - but the price was too good to let some one else benefit from it
  10. As JimmyD said -don't put a steering damper on it. They kill the nimbleness/lightness and feel of the steering. If you're weaving down the straights, it's because you are hanging on too tight. Try this for an experiment. When you're winding it out, hold onto the bars only with your pointer finger and thumb. I'll bet my last dollar the weaves will vanish. If not, check your rear suspension sag. Any more than 30% of total travel may cause problems. Check the sag front to rear. It doesn't seem logical, but try lifting the forks through the triples to transfer some more weight onto the front end if you have more sag at the rear than the front.

PS As an example, when I went from a 21" front to a 17", my 'tarded KTM became a lot more stable at speed. Not what you would expect from decreasing the rake angle.

PPS In case you hadn't noticed, I fukin hate steering dampers. I see them as a bandaid to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. Why build a beautifully light and sharp steering bike and then dumb it down with a damper -the exact opposite to what you were trying to achieve in the first place?
  11. Thanks Roarin, that's interesting to know.
  12. Would this only apply to motard/super or road bikes too?
  13. Thanks for the advice and sharing of your knowledge and experience JimmyD and Roarin - saved me $500

I sincerely appreciate it
  14. I'll answer your question with a question. In the land of litigation, Lawyers and Legislation, Eric Buel managed to build sporting road bikes with the dimensions/geometry of a 250 GP bike, packing a 120 odd hp V Twin, with no steering damper, and did not get sued by the incompetent, inept masses that purchased them. Or by the skilled riders that rode them as they were designed to be ridden. How did he manage that?
  15. Grats on getting a new bike mate, reckon you will have an absolute blast with it.

You are now required to put a picture of yourself licking the helmet up.
  16. I always liked the look of those, but haven't been on one. Sounds like fun, good deal for that $
  17. i just bought an wr250x as my first bike. couldn't imagine anything better or easier to ride from a beginners perspective, and from what everyone here seems to think it should put a smile on just about anyone's face.

18. not just riding but the maintenance factor as well

The servicing side of things

this is taken from the US owners manual

service #1 @ 600miles/1 month miles is check and adjust all brakes, clutch, steering head, switches, change oil and filter.
    service #2 @ 4000miles/6months is same as above plus air filter and checking everything.
    the line for valve checks/service says only, direct quote "valve clearance. -check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 26,600 mi (42000km)"

"Citing that the demographic doesn’t desire a tightly wound motor with cramped service intervals, but rather an effective engine requiring minimal maintenance, Yamaha endowed both models with a purpose-built powerplant to meet the latter criteria, while also gracing them with modern technology such as titanium intake valves, a ceramic composite plated cylinder, high lift cams, a newly designed 4-valve cylinder head and a short skirt aluminum piston. The engine also has an oil jet located beneath the piston to minimize piston temperatures."

this is what I like about them - basically just get on and ride them