Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hypothetical: Slipping in wet corner

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by takagawa, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Here's a hypothetical situation:

You're riding down a major road during a wet and humid day. You're about 50 metres from an intersection and you want to turn right into the freeway entrance ramp. The traffic light is green, so you accelerate a bit to beat the signal, and then slow down before making the turn.

Midway through the corner, you feel you're tyres slip and you think you're about a split second away from a lowside. What do you do?
  2. hmm at such a low speed... by the time you realise the tyres are slipping, you'd be on your side.

but in that situation, I guess - relax the throttle just enough to prevent the lowside, put body weight down into the corner to raise the bike.

I get that feeling from running over something slippery (bloody white lines on the road), in which case the back wheel flicks sideways over the line and grabs traction on the road...

was that personal experience?
  3. try and stand it up then find a spot to clean ya pants :?
  4. well last time it happened I quickly let go of the accelerator and straightened up, which allowed me to recover and come to a stop at the edge of the road.
    The car behind seemed a little put out, but f%$K him.

5. hehehe yea.... it happened just an hour ago :oops:.

I was on warragul rd, turning right onto monash fwy (outbound) ramp. I came into the corner, slowed down (didn't slow down enough), midway through corner the bike went sharply low, my right foot went into reflex mode and came out and hit the road.

But from some stroke of luck, maybe from a split second panic, I counter-steered, 'the other way'. In other words, I'm turning right into the corner, and I pushed with my left hand, and pulled with my right. The bike stood up a little, enough for it to regain traction. A brief second to regain control, and continued through the ramp on my merry way. My foot was fine, thank god for riding boots.

I wonder what the other cages were thinking when they saw me go through that. Someone was looking after me today.
  6. Well I'd have my knee down anyway, so I guess I'd use it to keep the bike upright! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  7. It's happened a few times over the last twenty or so years (not drops from it thank goodness).

My reaction (don't have time to think) seems to be countersteer the bike upright and then worry about which way the bike is heading after the bike is upright.

At least once this has led to a situation where the bike has been crossed up dirt bike style (which might look kewl from the sidelines but is probably something best avoided!)

At this point if you are heading towards oncoming traffic or hard objects then you have to decide if you can stop in time or not.

If not, then your options are limited... you can attempt to reduce speed and hope the other vehicle will do the same. You can reduce speed and reduce the impact damage (hopefully).

Or you can power on when crossed up... if you are lucky (or good) or both the bike will tend to go in the direction the chassis is facing, not the direction the wheel is (but it will lean as it does it).

If you aren't familiar with this from speedway or motocross or enduro bikes then this probably won't be your natural reaction anyway... but it can actually work.

Not sure I recommend practising on a road bike on wet roads though!

Try it on a light trail bike on dirt first.
  8. which wheel loses traction ?

the front, back or both ?
  9. NFI but my first reaction prolly would have been pull Bond uprtight & hit the rear brake slowly but firmly! Would this have put me on my ass?
  10. Firstly a disclaimer...15 months riding experience...

No problems braking if the bike is upright. Applying the rear brake firmly when the bike is leant over in the wet will generally not be good (very gently applying may help to sit the bike upright). You will need to get some traction with the front tyre so getting the bike more upright (off the throttle) and countersteering should assist. Now the trick will be to remember this in the split second it happens.
    If the front is sliding your instinctual reaction will probably be to back off the throttle. You will probably also try and "pick" the bike up which will be a bit like a countersteer.
  11. NEVER hit the rear brake firmly ever in this situation.
    Roll off the throttle till bike is upright then roll throttle back on LIGHTLY. when all is settled.btw it's A-R-S-E
    ass is a donkey.
  12. you probably wouldn't be able to pull it up-- due to your reflex.
    imagine if you were balancing backwards on a chair (like you
    would have done at school) and me reefing it -- you're legs will
    flick up before you could think about what to do ;)

if it's the back, i would just gas it, and slide it out (or rather it
    would be my reflex to do that) up the road until the back gains
    traction again.

i remember i used to do it for fun on my CBR600 (in darwin). the back
    would go out on a wet intersection, and i would hang it out right up
    the road for about 100-200 metres.

if the front goes.. then you are phuhked i guess. i've had the front
    wheel go on a dirt bike and i low sided. it's "half happened" a
    couple of times on the blade and gixxer. it's that quick... i've never
    been able to react correctly. out of sheer luck my front has gained
    traction again.

i have a friend who reckoned he would lock up the front wheel for
    the fun of it. mind you, he was going straight.
  13. PS/ when i say "gas it".. i mean it's a controlled (varying)
    rev. like a pulsed rev.

if you flatten the throttle when the back is starting to loose grip,
    she will flick right out and you will stack it.
  14. Ok so I would have ended up on my a***e waiting for the netrider RACV vehicle to pick us both up! Bugger! Hope I didn't hurt Bond!
  15. I remember going through more or less exactly this situation, albeit making a right turn at a roundabout, the very first time I rode my bike (had to ride it home in a thunderstorm). Still thinking I was a driver I tried steering into the skid and keeping the power on resulting in the bike becoming crossed up but somehow I managed to slide it gracefully through and kept it upright. Must have looked impressive but I don't plan on doing it again, think now I'll try for the straigthen up and try and stop approach.
  16. Sorry i just couldnt keep a lid on this one!

:?: :?: :?:
    WHY WHY WHY would you
    :? :? :?
    You would not need to find out what to do in this situation, if you rode to STAY OUT of this situation!
  17. Because the large truck behind you may not have the intention/ability to stop? Obviously it's best to avoid risky situations but sometimes that's not always an option.
  18. I agree. Remember - THE RAIN IS YOUR ENEMY.

I found to my expense a couple of years ago that 180 xsection tyres on a relatively light machine do not cut down through several inches of water at a good speed - they float across the top = highside.

Slow down and drive for the conditions - heavy rain on our crap roads often results in pools in tyre tracks and oil and grease build up after a period of no rain can make normally good roads atrociously slippery.

Putting the power done in a corner which can be howled in the dry in even light rain is plain stupid.

Take it easy in the wet or preferably stay at home with a lager or two.
  19. Posted: Today at 10:25 am Post subject:

Sorry i seem to have missed the truck being in this situation!

I'm assuming it wasnt and you are justifying your actions the only way you can.
    Best to take heed and learn to adapt your driving for the wet and learn from your mistakes rather than justify them.
    No point being justified and DEAD!
  20. I used the truck as an EXAMPLE of why someone MIGHT take the more dangerous option of cornering fast in the wet and potentially sliding out as opposed to the "safer" option of stopping and possibly being hit from the rear. I personally do take corners easy in the wet (and usually in the dry to) but I think takagawa's original question is valid, it's important to know what to do in the event that something does go wrong since sometimes it's unavoidable. Best to learn from advice than mistakes.