Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bravus, Sep 30, 2016.

1. #1 Bravus, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    So, I've been that dude on this forum for *years*, always saying 'Don't buy new! Depreciation!'

Then, yesterday, I bought a brand new bike. (OK, technically a demonstrator. But with 4 km on the clock.)

How am I not a massive hypocrite? Because I got a deal that kind of took depreciation off the table.

The absolute best price I could get in South-east Queensland for a used post-2014 Ninja 1000 was $12,500 ride away, even after haggling. That was for a 2015 model with 5000 km on it.

Although RRP for the Ninja is $15,999 plus on-roads, meaning you'd be lucky to leave the shop under $17,000, I got my 2016 model for $13,300, ride away.

For 800 bucks, it's worth it to have a bike a year and 5000 km fresher... even if I do have to run it in.

I had offers in that ballpark from 3 dealers, by the way, so if you're in the market for one...

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hypocrite!

Jokes jokes, cant say no to a bloody good deal! Good score mate,congrats!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nice deal.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Amazing value, and i thought Mt09s and gsxs1000 were the best bang for your buck......we have a new winner.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dropped after 4km? :D

someone has to buy new or near new, so others can have cheaper bikes :)
    i wonder if they sell any at RRP?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. The apprentice probably did a burnout outside the workshop, 4 km worth ;-)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. so properly run in then? :p
    looks like a great :)

a couple hundred bucks is nothing when you' know you're the only one to have abused the bike :)

as for hypocrisy? phht! if everyone could afford to lose a couple of grand on a new bike , they wouldn't settle for seconds ;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. That's a lot of motorbike for the $$. Nice one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. congrats on the new ride :)
    You've got to love a great deal (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wow! That's great mate! Well done.
  11. Awesome stuff, well done.
  12. Congrats BravusBravus

Nothing quite like that new bike feel. Enjoy!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Well done. Maybe I have been wrong all of these years and should have brought a new bike. But old habits die hard.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Looks like the economic downturn is hitting dealerships. If your cashed up, get in now for a bargain.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I let the original owner pay for the first expensive service and put a few scratches on it.
    Not a good deal to buy a bike only a few hundred dollars cheaper if you have to replace the tyres
  16. Nice price on a great bike! I remember getting my 2010 R6 for 13k with 46km on it, I was stoked!

I would say if it's your dream bike and you can afford it, don't worry too much about depreciation, just worry about getting out and enjoying the ride!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. congrats BravusBravus - only you know if you got a good deal, if you're still smiling a few days later then you did!
  18. Hey if you save enough to out weigh depreciation and its a keeper then I wouldn't question it. Right? I'm a learner still but I won't be buying new (or close to) until I'm going to commit to that bike for ages and competent to look after it for its life.
    I don't see hypocrisy here and be proud of your purchase woo. New bike feels!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I thought we were in for at least another three years of 'What bike shall I buy?" threads from Bravus. I feel a bit short-changed.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. haha - yes there's been a couple