Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hypercharger Vs Air Filter

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Mr Happy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I want to get more power out of my 2011 Yamaha XVS650 Classic and would like to know your thoughts on THE BEST way to go about it (hypercharger or air filter).
    I've got the V&H Short Shots on the bike.

2. hypercharges are airfilters, they dont really do anything special other than look cool on some bikes...

your going to gain 3/5th's of **** all

yamaha make larger capacity scoots for people chasing more power and torque, look at them

a workmate went from the 650 to 1100 and couldnt be happier
  3. same as above,
    pipes and a cleaner will give some but not much....
    it will reqiure a new tune though.... not sure if fuel injected, but if it is add $300-500ish for a power commander
  4. Aftermarket air filters don't really add any power, just noise.
  5. sell it
  6. If you are looking for more boot out of your bike, a new air filter won't really make much in the way of difference. If you are looking at increasing power output (significantly) on your XVS650, the only way you'll do that is via a Turbocharger or Supercharger (at the expense of fuel economy) if they have kits that suit your wheels.
    Even if you got the high performance air filter and the straight-through pipes coupled with a proper tune that got the most out of your engine, the most optimistic number I have heard here is approx 10% (and on my Roadster that would equate to 13hp).
    Question is how long do you plan on keeping your wheels for? because when you start to seriously tune your bike (and add performance parts) your spare cash tends to disappear fast.
  7. Well that's what I wanted to check with this thread Bikerchaplain. A lot of the American guys swear by the GAK (Gonzo Air Kit) they put on their bikes. It includes the filters and the jets and seems fairly easy to install.
    Thanks for the helpful reply.

Thanks also Steve87. The bike really suits me for what I need to do. I originally was going to part with it once my LAMS period was up but now I want to keep it for a long time. I joined this forum to get opinions of some Aussies as I've got a lot of info from the Yanks and just wanted to see what the locals were doing to their bikes. I'm in contact with another Aussie who's getting the GAK and adding it to his XVS650 so he'll let me know how it goes.
  8. Chase up TimB on that forum too, he might be cheaper and have better jets DO NOT use the dyna jets they are rubbish......
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hi Mr Happy, did you ever install the GAK??? what were the results. It would appear, like you that I am very attached to my 650 and would like to keep her rather than upgrade..... can you please let me know how you progressed with anything re more "HOP UP" cheers
  10. The only way you'll get significant gains from changing the air filter is if the original is badly blocked or very VERY poorly designed, and modern OEM filters are highly unlikely to fall into the latter category. The only thing you're guaranteed to get with a freer flowing filter (or drilling holes in your air box, or switching to pod filters) is an increase in induction noise. Depending on the bike, things like pod filters will actually COST you power as removing the air box forces the bike to try and draw in air from the moving air stream which is lower pressure than that in a still air box. The result is the engine actually gets LESS air at speed, NOT more, and all for the cost of a lot more intake noise.
    Even if you put a good performance exhaust on, and the high flowing filter, and throw in a dyno tune by someone that knows what they're doing, you won't gain more than about 10% unless there is something SERIOUSLY restrictive about the stock system. Even most LAMS bikes do not have pipes that are that restricted.
    If you just want more HP, get a bigger bike. Performance upgrades will never pay for themselves or add their cost to the value of the bike at resale.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  11. Thank you Dark Angel!!!
  12. Now that being said, if you love your ride and are looking to customize /personalize, with no interest in resale etc, then do what you please. It's a nice feeling knowing that you've got your ride dialed in to suit your tastes and how you ride. Very satisfying. Just not worth the money if you plan to sell it later.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thank you again Dark Angel.... my ride is so good to me.... and I try to be good back... so I will just to small changes at a time... and if it works then add another small change... and if that works... well it will keep me happy and within budget of course! lolz.. thank you again DA...and for being encouraging.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sometimes the placebo effect that comes from a little more exhaust or induction noise is enough. Most of us aren't outriding the capabilities of our bikes anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Let's not get carried away. I'm not going to encourage anyone to throw good money after bad. If you're sure you're going to keep that bike for a LOOOOOONG time it could be worth spending more on it than if you're just going to get through your Ls/Ps and then trade it in. Remember, you are very likely to never see any money you spend in personalising the bike again, so be certain you will get your money's worth in the time you own it.

I spent possibly hundreds of hours shaping and polishing engine ports over the years, and matching carbs and intakes, all for a TINY change in power delivery. There is no way I would have considered it worth paying someone to do that, especially on a small displacement machine, as the cost for the power gained would have been ridiculous. Seriously, it's cheaper to just live on Optifast for a few weeks and shave some kgs off yourself to make the bike + rider combination that bit faster off the line.
    If it's just a hobby, challenge, personalisation, keep yourself amused thing, fair enough. But don't think you'll gain enough to turn a LAMS machine into a fire-breathing monster killer.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Hey Dark Anglel "Seriously, it's cheaper to just live on Optifast for a few weeks and shave some kgs off yourself to make the bike + rider combination that bit faster off the line.
    If it's just a hobby, challenge, personalisation, keep yourself amused thing, fair enough. But don't think you'll gain enough to turn a LAMS machine into a fire-breathing monster killer."

I like that bit - live on Optifast and shave some kilos off... think Ill cut my hair as well...... Im just keeping myself amused... and out of mischief!!!
  17. Hey SuperduckSuperduck, you're not going to get a great increase in power whatever you do, however if you love your bike as you do, just get out and ride and enjoy it, you should have enough power for sitting on the speed limit, passing, hills, etc. Some go to much bigger bikes then find it's too heavy to park, slow maneuvering, or the extra power just scares them, this can lead to not riding, just get out and ride, hook up with other Netriders (depending on where you are) and enjoy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Now where's the fun in that?! ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dark Angel, Oct 3, 2016

I'm just keeping myself amused... and out of mischief!!!
    Now where's the fun in that?! ;)

lolz... bought another bike... now Im back to being mischief!!