Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hypercharger and pipes, mutually exclusive?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by tubbsy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Hi guys

Got a set of V&H 'Cruzers' on my V-Star, as well as a Kuryaken Hypercharger.

The pipes are too loud for where I live, picked up a set of stock pipes which I will fit.

My question is, will there be any issue running standard pipes with a Kuryaken Hypercharger? I know it will likely reduce performance a little, but will there be an long term problems with the engine?

2. A Hypercharger is little more than a very nice looking aftermarket air filter, so, no, you won't have any problems, as long as the bike is jetted right.
  3. Ok cool, thanks. Had the bike for about a week, so no idea if it's jetted right, any advice on how to check? The Dealership said they checked it over and serviced it and all good.

Last night on the front of the filter where the 'butterflies' are, I found a sort of sooty residue, like you get out of exhausts.
  4. If you have any flat spots in your throttle response or backfiring then your jetting/carb settings are not 100%.

The sooty residue could be from backfiring or possibly blowback (fuel & oil) from the hypercharger itself.

Fit the pipes & see how it goes, if you have any concerns, take it to a dyno centre to be tuned.
  5. There is some popping when easing off the throttle, but I think that's from the pipes. Backfired only once starting up.

Good to know on the residue.