Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hyosung quality

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by liquidr0x0r, Feb 1, 2007.

1. First things first, I've created this topic after reading through post after post regarding Hyosungs, I haven't found the information I want (well... the detail).

Secondly, Yeah, I'm a newbie to this site.

Third, I'm a relatively big guy... 6'1" and 100kg on the knocker and I don’t like sport bikes, I like to be sitting upright and not laying on a fuel tank :p its just better for me...

Hyosungs are cheap. I've always been under the impression that "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

Bluntly, I don't want a monkey. I want a reliable bike that I can use as primary transport in all weather conditions. I have absolutely no intention of riding the bike into the ground; I defiantly don’t want to race it or anything like that...

I’d like a 250, Not a sport bike, probably a naked bike with a windshield… (I don’t mind buying whatever accessories I want later)

Requirements for me go as follows:
    - Wake up in the morning expecting to be able to ride the bike 20km to work and 20km home with out having to call work and saying "my bikes shit its self, sorry."
    - Be able to take it on long rides, (again, not racing or riding it hard) 500km to X destination and return a day or two later with out spending time on the side of the road watching oil/other internal fluids pissing all over the road or anything that'll stop the bike from going the distance safely.
    - Comfortable to ride, I don't mind forking out for some extra's like different bars or sheepskin seat covers, windscreen... or whatever could help.
    - Decent suspension! Something that can comfortably handle the not so great/well maintained roads of rural Australia, I don't really want to fight the bike the whole time.
    - Power isn't so much of an issue for me... Enough power to be able to overtake people rolling along at 80km/h (L platers or whatever) and the ability to sit on 100km/h to 110km/h all day would be great.
    - Repair costs? I've heard that VTR250's can be bitches to work on due to how their engines are laid out... just fiddly or something?

I'm looking into at buying a 250cc bike. A '99 model Yamaha FZX250 Zeal appears to be able to give me what I want. Looking around I've seen a few Zeal's, I don't know too much about them. I've found that I can find one in good order without too many km's for about $4000

Can a Hyosung GT(comet)250? Apparently the newest model of these bikes is the ducks guts having refined the technology and ruling out a whole pile of bugs that appear to be killing their reviews and causing people financial pain.

I’d love your opinions please, They’ll be greatly appreciated!

2. Go with the Hyosung. They're so good, you can't buy just one! Not if you expect to have enough parts to get a working one, anyway.

I'm kidding. But if you buy a Hyo I'll laugh at you if and when we meet, and continue laughing until you get rid of it. I promise. That's just me though, I met somebody once who said they thought they were a decent motorcycle, and they didn't *apear* to be taking the piss or crossing their fingers behind their back, but then there's people out there who pay good money to get belted on the privates with a paddle.

2nd hand GPX250 or VTR250 are my votes, the former is a faired standard with a nice enough seating position. They're cheap, plentiful, reliable and bulletproof. If you want to spend more, get a second hand VTR. They're more modern than the GPX, and naked, and can do it all.

You'll struggle with the suspension on any 250, they're just not really up to it. But cheap fixes like uprated springs and heavier oil can see you through if you can't deal with it. See www.promecha.com.au - but I'd ride the bike around for 10,000k before I decided whether I needed to spend the money or not - you're probably best off waiting for the upgrade so you don't throw money at a bike that's going straight out the door anyway.

3. What about the zeal? dunno much about them or are they garbage or what? :p

4. GPX250, one of the most popular 250's for a reason. I think it suits all your requirements and has a better reputation than Hyosung at a similar price.

5. All I can give you is my $0.022 worth. I have had my Hyo GT250 for 12 months and 23,000kms and in that time have replaced a chain and sprockets and a new clutch cable. That's it besides the battery is running a bit flat so have to roll start it every now and then.

So what have those 23,000kms been made up of? Commutting every day regardless of weather and the occasional blat in the twisties.

Do I wish I got a VTR250? Maybe but they were $2k more and that is a lot of money.

Oh and yes Loz my next bike will probably be a Hornet 900 or CB1300 :grin:

6. what year model is your hyo 250? doesn't sound like you've had any issues or concerns with it... Would you recomend it to get new, put say... 50,000km's on it and get a different bike later or should I just skip it entirly? something is pulling me towards the hyo's but I just can't get past the stigma of korean stuff... hyundai excell *shudder* daewoo *vomit* you know?

I know bikes are not cars... but their quality control and such must be pretty similar right?

7. The Zeal's essentially just a naked FZR so there shouldn't be any issues with reliability assuming it's been looked after - similar bikes are the Suzuki Bandit and Kawasaki Balius which were both sold here officially around the same time as the Zeal (late 90's).
    Edit: Oh and if you are allowed to ride a larger bike then the best option by far would be a GS500.

8. I like the sound of that Jd, I'd really prefer to stick with Yamaha out of the Jap bike range... Got a mate who runs a Yamaha dealership, I'm loving the opinions :) keep them rolling in

9. If that's the case then the Zeal's probably the best option. If you're serious about doing 500+kms in a day then a four-cylinder bike is definately an advantage (more power, less vibration).

10. i'm quite serious, moving away from home in the next fortnight or so, going about 500km's from here, i'd like to be able to ride back to visit occasionally, ride back one day, stay a day, ride home (new home) the next. daresay i'll be racking up the km's. You think a zeal would suit me?

11. Well that would be a big factor in buying a bike.

Hyo is 2005 got it in Feb 2006. I am going to put about 50,000 on the bike and throw it away at the end, but I can afford to do this. :?

12. 6' 1" and 100 kgs? (Interesting mix of measurements there :LOL:)

You need a 250 at the physically bigger end of the scale to be comfortable. A new Hyosung would give you warranty, etc, and most of the horror stories on this forum have been imported ones. I don't think a conclusive case has been made for them NOT to be considered as a serious purchase.

If you are thinking second hand, then why not a 250 Hornet, it's the same physical size and weight as the 600 model, and the package is bullet-proof....

13. Hi mate,
    I've also go a Hyo GT250 naked.

I've done just about 10,000km. Mine is a 2005 model, which had a problem with the CDI unit which was fixed immediately under warranty by just plugging in a new unit. That was the only problem i've had. Servicing is cheap, as they are a simple bike. Old school technology but it does the job no worries.

Most of the horror Hyosung stories seem to concern the 650 models, i havent heard too many with regards to the 250 model.

As far as i know, the only difference between the 2005 bikes like mine and the current ones is the black frame instead of the silver one and the new CDI units.

I've also got a windscreen which i think is a must (i'm 6ft 4) and it makes a world of difference in the country or when its windy.

Parts are cheap. Sometimes its best to find a contact in Korea who can post them to you. Check out www.korider.com its a hyo specific forum with lots of good contacts. Theres a guy on there based in Melbourne who goes to Korea regularly and has offered to hook people up with parts, for example genuine oil filters are $2 each.

cheers
    Duff

14. The only way you're going to know that for sure is to sit on one and see if it feels right. The bike itself shouldn't have any trouble covering that sort of distance if it's looked after properly (ie fix/replace parts before they fail).

15. HI Liquid
    i do not know your location as it is not in your profile
    i can Not fault the 2004 Hyosung GV 240
    of the many bikes i have enquired about since and before i bough this bike it has been top 10 all the way
    in saying that ,i am now on a full unrestricted licence and want to upgrade

i am selling my 2004 hyosung GV250,i am only looking for $4,500 ONO for her, with a comfortable 8000 klm i have ridden her since august 06,to Many rallies ect ,she is registered to August 07,THIS bike is Absolutly Faultless in EVERY WAY ,i really dont want to sell it, wholeheartedly i mean that,but to upgrade i have to ;-( she has been serviced new oil filter and new chain sprockets ect
    and new iridium plugs i get 100 klm to 3.5 litres of fuel, i bought a back rest and put it on i also got the centre stand put on , she has LOUD after market pipes that were on her when i bought her ,i could easily get a RWC on her she is Perfect ,yes she did drop on me recently But MY leg took the brunt she only has a few scratches on the back of the mirror and on the front gaurd ,i have touched them up
    here is the link to my bike pictures

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p205/Lady-Rider/MY HYOSUNG FOR SALE PICS/

anyone looking for a Really Nice Cruiser your welcome to call me
    Regard's
    Jo
    Boronia Victoria
    [Mod edit, No mobiles please]

16. Duffman, Being 6'4" you know only too well the pains of being scrunched up in small cars/bikes/whatever, even more so than I do. How well does the hyo seat you? do you have different handle bars or specific adjustments made to suit your height? whats the biggest distance or longest ammount of time you've spent on it at any one time? and how'd you feel after it? was it comfy?

very interested to know, comfort is a pretty important thing in all walks of life

17. Agree with Hornet600 on this one. Check out the Hornet 250. They are quite big for a 250 and they go well..

VTR or GPX, I will suggest you give it a try first. My gut feeling is that they are a bit small for you or they will struggle to move.. :LOL:

Alternatively... loose some weight.. :LOL:

18. off topic as this may be... lose some weight? lmao dude, I'm not fat, I don't have a roll on me :p I'm medium build/athletic and chances are much stronger than you ^_^ need a pic? lol

I will have to give these bikes a test run for sure, any more opinions on the zeals? any one got one? know someone who's got one? so far I'm thinking a hyosung or a zeal, can anyone sway me? give me reasons why _____ is better/more suited than both of them?

19. My bike is totally stock save for the screen.

Oh and i have a sheepskin seat cover.

I have done quite a few 700km days. From Perth down south and back, to our farm. To be honest, for me the seat is crap, but then i do have a skinny bony butt. I find that any more than 2hrs in the seat gets uncomfortable and i start wriggling around. But 2hrs is basically a pretty good time to jump off and stretch ya legs and have a drink anyway, so it works out pretty well IMHO. The sheepskin does help here, however it would be an easy job to get the seat re padded if you found it necessary. Otherwise you can get gel seats or AirHawks or whatever they're called.

Its a 250, so its down on power right from the outset, but so long as you arent expecting 600cc performance, then you'll be fine. It does feel a bit underpowered when I load it up with panniers and tank bag and swag, but what 250 wouldnt?

There are literally hundreds of Hyos around here in Perth. In fact the dealer over here is the biggest selling Hyo dealer in Australia. So that highlights their popularity here. The dealer is also very good with service and after purchase service.

20. Cool cool

Great info duffman!

Yeah I'm still pretty undecided... i'll throw a new question in... Dollar for Dollar, how do hyosungs compare with the Jap competetion? Dollar for Dollar should take into account initial cost, general maintainence, rego, insurance, services and stuff... see how things work out here.