Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hyosung GV650's?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by powinc, Oct 14, 2014.

1. My mate had a couple of issues with his GV250 and I'm wondering how reliable is the Korean brand?

Maybe it might be worth the extra $2-3k and get a Vulcan 800?

2. #2 Edward VH, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    For what it's worth, it's often better to spend a bit extra.
    The adage of "you get what you pay for" is generally true.

My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with Japanese built bikes (or cars).
    Would probably hold their value better as well.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had an issue with Japanese products.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I never had a problem with my 2 x gv650 s I owned. Had a great time on them. The gv is lighter with more power as well.
  4. Yeah, I noticed that. The GV650 has fuel injection & is about 25kg lighter.
  5. My brother has had one for a couple of years now, the first of the EFI models. Had a minor issue with the ignitor packs. Replaced twice, the second time with a Suzuki part (They're identical), both done under warranty. Other than that minor niggle, the bike has been reliable and a lot of fun. Although I did find out at the Pink Ribbon ride that they are the bike of choice by the Dikes. Apparently more Dikes ride these than any other bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 nick1234, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    I bought a new GV650 Classic in Feb this year. I have had 2 issues, both fixed under warranty. First one where it was setting of a warning buzzer occasionally (only happened twice) when being washed, was no big deal, dealer just reconnected a cable at the next service, it must have been connected poorly, and that seems to have fixed it.

Other issue was the radiator cracking. They have had some bad radiators. Dealer said the new one looks exactly the same, but Hyosung told him that it is made of stronger metal. They also said that it will be covered under warranty if it happens again, even if it is out of warranty, as it is (now) a known fault. Due to the importer quickly running out of the old (faulty) radiators, and having to wait for the new ones). the bike was out of action for 4 weeks, which I thought was pretty poor, but there probably wasnt much that the dealer at least could do about it.

Other than those 2 issues, it has been perfect, it is a great bike to ride, lots of power, comfortable, everyone says it looks great, my dealer is great to deal with, and I am very happy with the bike. I have done about 11,500km on it since picking it up, brand new, in late Feb this year. I carried a jerry can of petrol with me a few weeks ago one Sunday, and got 333km out of it before it started to splutter, at which time i immediatley pulled over and filled it up. It has a 17ltr tank, and this was almost entirely country road (very little in town), mostly going about 100-110 on bitumen, but probably travelled about 50-70km on gravel or dirt, mostly going "about" 100km/h.

Only thing, if you ride it on gravel or dirt (which i do alot - and it handles great, even at high speed - but be careful, especially if inexperienced on gravel/dirt), you really need to fit some sort of mudflap to the front fender. I just got a heavy sheet of rubber and cut it to shape, then glued it on. I forget what sort of glue i used sorry. About 11,000km's later, it is still there, and the very minor sandblasting that started before fitting it has not worsened.

I would certainly recommend a Hyosung, if you can find a good, honest dealer. Thankfully, I have one of those nearby. From what I have heard, If you live in Melbourne, it may be worth taking a look a couple of hours up the Calder instead of buying locally.
  7. Did you end up buying a Hyosung they have the gv650s on sale at my local Suzuki dealer for $7500 ride away. If so how's it ride, I've heard a lot of mixed report, most say it rides well, but seems a lot of people had issues with the early models.