Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by noscars, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Thanks to all that answered my question regarding the ignition issue. The answer was, well, let's put it this way, Ignition problems end when your battery isn't dead flat!!!

2. I'm not sure what the clicking sound is, but the light dimming and the lack of action is indicative of bad battery terminals.

Give the terminals and connections a good clean. Put a little aluminium foil under each to help connection if cleaning aone doesn't help.

Also a dying battery can present like this.
  3. After three years, the battery could be stuffed. It way well charge up, but be incapable of hold the volts under current draw.

As Ibast said, clean the terminals, check all connections are tight.

The clicking noise is probably an electric fuel pump, it'll click until the fuel bowls are fuel, then stop. The CDI (or full electronic ignition) wont make any appreciable noise, and the solenoid will only "click" when you hit the starter button, so I'd rule them out.

4. I have to agree with Iffracem & ibast. Its not an ignition module problem. A battery around 3 years old that hasn't been looked after to the nth degree will probably have died. It will still measure decent volts under NO LOAD but wont have the capacity to pass current. Check the voltage with no load, should be around 12 to 12.5 for a decent one . Then check voltage with ignition on, it shouldn't drop to much below 11.8 or so. While attempting to crank if it drops below 9 throw it and put in a new one.
  5. The clicking noise is defiantely the fuel pump. No clicking noise means the battery has not got the guts to make the pump work - and it will not have the ticker to make the starter motor work. In short, bettery has reached the end of its useful life. Get another and all will be sweet.
  6. ALso Hyosung kill switches arnt very good and should not really be used to turn the bike off all the time, i was told this when i bought my hyo and was told not to because they often had people coming saying there bikes wont start and it was the kill switch switch burning out.
  7. I never use the kill switch anyway, always turn it off at the ignition switch.

I treat the kill switch as an emergency engine kill device.
  8. I might sound really stupid here but dont the hyo's have electronic fuel something or other that makes that clicking noise?
  9. Yes it is a automatic fuel tap/pump. often beding and needing replacing but they dont make tapping sounds, that is the cam chain, Nothing to worry about, just report it at next service and they will make sure everying is ok, I have it to, as long as its not to loud and not fast everything should be cool