Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hyosung gt650 rebuild (2006 comet)

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by korbail, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Anyone think it is worth rebuilding a Hyosung gt650 that has a seized motor and turning it in to something or would it just be more trouble than what it's worth?

2. Do you know why it has seized, and how good a mechanic are you?

3. I know how to do basic maintenance but I'm not afraid to learn.

All I know is one day it was being ridden and then it seized. Seems odd not to know whether it was due to no oil or not.

I have fitted a piston to an old TS250 before and had to grind down the piston rod to fit

4. You are probably unable to recover any value from it as a rebuild, part it out for the remaining bits would be the best. If you intend it as a learning exercise then it may be worthwhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Took the words right out of my mouth. Stop doing that.:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Cool thanks, I was doing it as a learning project but was kind of hoping I would make my money back. Don't care about profit

I got the bike for free so I might tinker a bit and throw it out as I go

7. Have a hunt around for a second Hand motor. U might find one for 6-700 , put it in yourself. Happy days

8. Free Hyo GT650 as a rebuild project? This is a bit like the Atomik 250 I got to play around with a couple of years ago. Gotta love those cheap imports.

9. What brand are you guys using for sockets, spanners etc.. I got a kingchrome socket and spanner set from bunnings but the sockets seem to be a bit loose when I use them and burred the rear axle nut a bit on my ninja 300.

10. I have a set of Sidchrome sockets I bought in 1979, they cost me a weeks wages back then and are still working just fine including the ratchets. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. If you didn't have an exact size match, then either the socket or the nut is going to give out when the torque limit is reached. In your case, it was the nut, so the socket is good. Kinchrome wins. Nothing wrong with it.

12. If you're doing it for shits and giggles, drop the engine and pull the cylinders. Go from there. Plenty of parts on ebay, as well as a few crashed bikes with (I presume) working engines for about $1500.

13. problem is getting approval from money bags

14. Threaten to withdraw your services :D

15. lol no need to get dirty

16. Do it, add a Turbo & go drag racing. You will embarrass some good Jap bikes :)

17. Seized pistons in the cylinders or locked up for some other reason? It's worth pulling it part way down to see what's actually going on. A bolt or a nut in a cam chain can lock it solid, and could be a much cheaper fix. Sounds like you have nothing to lose by having a look inside.