Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hyosung GT250r top heavy

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mizhy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Hi everyone I recently got my Ls in march. Soon after I bought a hyosung gt250r and I have noticed it is very top heavy and handles very sluggish through corners.
    Any tips on riding a heavy bike? I'm considering selling it for a lighter bike. What are some lighter bikes out there. I weigh 68kgs and I'm 177cm tall.

2. I ride the two extreems in that I have a 250 Honda that is 130 kgs and a Goldwing that is 350kgs. With the Goldwing, make sure your feet are ready for the landing. Be aware of good footing and do not let it start to lean at all.
    I have never been on a gt250 Hyosung, but I would have though the the full size that the Hyosung is, would help you with comfort on the bike. Once you have a bit of time on the bike, you may find it fits you very well.
  3. Your Hyosung is not a heavy bike but does have limited steering lock (range of movement). A bike is very difficult to balance when you run out of steering lock during low speed riding and I'd guess this is what happened when you fell off.
    I think the lightest road bike with reasonable go would be the KTM 390 Duke that would be some 30Kg lighter than what you've got.
    Some road / trail bikes lighter still.
    Make sure the tyres are up to pressure.
  4. Thanks for the advice is a portable 12v compressor any good for tyres or do I need to get a full size?
  5. Mate you have your L's so go test ride a bunch of others and see what you like the feel of. Best way to work it out plus heaps of fun....
  6. For emergency use they are OK. I have a Tomcat 12v
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. congrats on the Ls :)
    Before deciding if the bikes to heavy get used to moving it around your place if you have the space and practicing slow riding
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. if it's sluggish through corners I'd recommend changing down a gear and check your tyre pressure as well as your chain tension.

get onto youtube and read about counter-steering, it doesn't take strength and will make a big difference to they way you ride.
  9. as far as compressors go I use one I bought at SuperCheap about ten years ago, it just hooks up to your battery so only for emergencies or if you have a car handy. recommend spending a few bucks for a decent pressure gauge though.
  10. Thanks ill check that out. I usually have slightly lower tyre pressure than is recommended as ive heard you get better grip, larger contact patch and such
  11. it can also make it a bit spongy and slow to turn, you should stick with the manufacturers recommendation. too soft and you can get movement through the sidewall and have all sorts of problems.
  12. Thanks chilliman64 ill put them at the recommended pressure again and see how it goes but I do find the bike top heavy to where it feels like it will tip if I lean over too far
  13. all bikes will tip if you lean them too far when you're standing still, gravity beats all of us. as you continue to learn the craft you will feel more confident finding the balance and slow speed handling will get easier.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. #14 twistngo, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Is any of the suspension adjustable? If it's second hand might be worth asking a mechanic to look at it. They'll probably look at the head stem bearings. Don't know much about hyos, but if they are pretending to be sporty, the bars will be low and short so its it bit harder to turn than a bike with high wide bars. What did you ride before that you are comparing it with?

PS If it's second hand are the tyres squared off?
  15. I've ridden dirtbikes when I was young and a Honda cb125 at the learners test. Looking at specs of bikes it does seem to be heavy and a few friends have way smaller and lighter 250's but not sure if they've lowered them or if its stock
  16. It is a little bit of being a new learner but I'll tell you, unless someone has owned one, they don't know what you mean by top heavy, I know you feel it and it comes down to the engineering of the bike. The design is poor and the weight is not distributed very evenly. I've tried to explain this to people when I had my Hyo and they just kept saying all heavier bikes are hard to maneuver etc. but the bike may function and run like any other bike but when it comes to the weight and design of the build, it's been manufactured poorly. Go sit on any Honda or Kawasaki of similar weight and you will feel it's a lot lighter even when you move it from side to side at a standstill. I finally had this explained to me by a motorcycle mechanic of 20+ years and this guy knows his stuff. Go try out other bikes if you can, if you feel the Hyo is not right for you, I would change over to something more reputable.

My Z300 is about 20kgs lighter than the Hyo and it actually feels about 60kgs lighter.
  17. It isn't a heavy bike but if you only have just started riding it will feel heavy until you get used to it. I am way shorter than you and my bike weighs in fairly close to 100kg heavier than yours. Persevere and it will get easier.

Things like tyre pressures are important and too low swill make the handling sluggish and the bike feel heavy so don't go below what the manufacturer recommends and check them regularly.

Are you throttling on in corners? if you back off in a corner and simply coast through the weight shifts forwards onto the front wheel and that can make the bike feel heavy. You should get all your speed reduction done before the corner and then give a bit of positive throttle so you are slightly accelerating I the corner and then accelerating a bit harder as you come out of it and straightening up.

Is your suspension set right for you. Incorrect suspension settings will also make the bike feel awkward.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ok ill try accelerating through corners a little more and upping the tyre pressure
  19. This is a myth. Under inflation on the road has no benefit.
    It can overheat your tyres, damage the sidewalls and make the bike feel like it's on riding on jelly.
    Stick with the bike manufacturers recommendation.
  20. Wow thanks mick ill pump ny tyres up in the morning before I go for a ride
    • Like Like x 1