Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hyosung GT250R - Any one riden/seen review/got opinions?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by LineNoise, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Just got back from the bike expo and frankly the most interesting stand had to be the Hyosung one.

The new 650 Aquila is certainly an interesting beast, very V-Rod (and probably better built :LOL:), and the new GT250s and GT650s caught my eye.

In particular the GT250R because it's a 250cc sportsbike that I don't find myself crunched into a tiny ball on. For those who haven't seen it, its basically your average Comet with a new dash (ooooh fuel gauge), improved triple clamp, better gas rear shock, dual front discs and fairing for ~$6700 + on roads. Went over it pretty closely and apart from a slightly suspect fairing mount near your feet it looked pretty good standing still.

Was wondering if anyone had any comments about it, had seen any reviews or actually riden one because it's kinda tempting at the moment.
  2. I laughed when i saw the GT250R; the 650 on the other hand i'm interested in. I was asking around about the GT650R but it seems that they're a little too new to have any decent information or opinions about them.

On the other hand.. i'm even more interested in the upcoming GT1000R. :D As long as it's built solid enough it won't rattle to pieces. ;)
  3. From what I've seen of the recent Hyosungs they're pretty well bolted together. Some of the earlier ones were a bit iffy and they're certainly not up to the Hondas of this world but for the money I reckon it's a good buy.

If the 250 is good and people get over it being Korean I reckon it could be a damn good seller for them.
  4. Well the problem for the Victorian rider is that restrictions mean that you can't buy the 650 and then mod it when your restrictions are over. Feedback from NSW P plate riders on the 650 is good (front brakes are a bit 'wooden'), and the $139 upgrade path to a full 650 can't be beat.
  5. Interesting to note that Hyosung were also offering a 2year unlimited kilometre warranty on their bikes which must be their way of trying to eliminate the (probably unjustified) stigma of unreliability with Korean products.
  6. I've been hearing exactly the same things. I did quite a bit of research on the GT650R when i first saw one parked on the side of the street. Lovely looking thing in bright yellow - took the bits i liked from a trumpy's body shape (Daytona 650) and the under-over headlights from a Duke... then slapped it onto something cheaper.

Standard first mod for the GT650R is apparently braided lines; although it doesn't completely remove the wooden feel it certainly helps.
  7. Strange though, the website shows the semi-faired GT650S with clip-on handlebars the same as the full-faired GT650R. The GT650S at the bike expo however had straight bars like those on the naked GT650 :?
  8. well before you think your getting a 650 you better check the horse power rated at 70 at the back wheel with a stiff breeze my lawnmower is faster
  9. Hyosung are not running the classic 'model' model, which explains the mixture of bars and fairings. They are making constant changes along the way, responding to user input and dealer input, so I'm not surpised at naked bars on a faired bike!
  10. That's a figure I haven't been able to find. What the hell is the power out put of the GT250R?

Is it the same 22 kW as the normal Comet because I noticed the engine actually redlined at 10,500 on the R instead of the normal 11,000 (well according to the dial at least)?
  11. I don't know about that, the Hyosung GT650R is rated at 58.5kw whereas the Suzuki SV650S is only rated at 51.5kw (both manufacturers specs for engine power). Don't have figures for torque but both produce peak power at the same rpm so clearly the Hyosung also produces more torque than the Suzuki. You must have a damn fast lawnmower.
  12. The Comet brochure I'm holding in my hand says 79 hp for the 650.
    250 model is 30 hp @ 10,500 rpm
    For comparison (not talking about weight or other factors) Ducati Monster 620 lists 63 hp @ 9,500 rpm
  13. I've taken a pretty good look at these at Jetsport (hornet600 etc would know the place) And was very, very impressed.
    They certainly are better than the 'Hyundai of Bikes' rep that they get.
  14. Yep, I rode one at Jetpsorts, and although I bought the Hornet instead, price was the only reason I didn't go Korean. Look where Korean cars were even 5 years ago, and look where they are now......
  15. Rode the GT250 when I was hunting for my first bike about a year ago - not sure how it compares with the R model. I imagine the seating position is different, but the noticeable thing about the Hyosung is that it feels much larger than any other 250 I rode. Probably be a more comfortable option for larger riders. Torquier than the other revvy 250s too, but you hit the redline repeatedly (even in my timid test-riding at the time).

Give one a test ride - it certainly could be loved. Sounds horn with the factory sports-exhaust. Not quite my thing though.
  16. Oh, btw - 650's got 79HP at the flywheel, 70 at the rear wheel. So that's where those figures come from. The torque is where it's at though, nice flat curve (with the aftermarket Devil they suggest) peaking just over 60Nm.
  17. Yeah, well, everybody fudges HP figures some way or other, eh? Reading BIKE the other day and they said one of the Triumphs quote HP at the CRANKSHAFT, however they do that!
  18. Where does Honda quote it, considering that HP at the crank is a fairly standard quote from most manufacturers.
  19. I agree with scooter here. From my reading, all the manufacturers quote their hp figures at the crank. You don't really know what the usable power is until you get the road tests where they dyno the bikes.

Japanese manufacturers traditionally measure the weight of the bike "dry" too, which is also a little naughty.