Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

hyosung gt250 for a L learner?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by livingstonest, Jul 15, 2005.

1. hey all went to a bike dealer and saw the hyosung gt250.

all i want is a cheap reliable, easy to learn on bike with minimal maintenance. buying new gives me 2yrs warranty which i like instead of second hand.

anybody got any experience or comments on this bike?

cheers.

2. They are an 'ok' budget bike, you get what you pay for basically.

Good for taller people though.

3. Firstly, where are you? If you are in NSW/ACT you are able to get a LAMS bike and Hyosilveraway make a nice 650cc LAMS bike that you can de-restrict after your learner period.

If you are in VIC, buy second hand.

The bikes themselves are not up to the manufacturing standards of the Big 4 but it's still a decent machine. Could be a bit on the heavy side though as it shares the same frame, tank and other bits with the bigger model. The ride position is great, nice and neutral with a good sit up and beg position allowing easy manouvering and site lines. I'd love to ride one just to tick it off my list.

4. I looked at them fairly closely when I was deciding what I'd buy.

Quality isn't quite up there with the japanese builders but the price isn't quite up there either which balances nicely.

Good if you're fairly large as the 250 and 650 are basically the same bike with different engines.

If you are in a LAMS state get the restricted 650 instead though.

5. After a one-hour ride: GREAT ergos for anyone 5/10" and above.
    Very good choice for a learners bike. Good reputation/ good write-ups in the mags. Enuff zip as a cheap commuter. Cheap to run and REALLY cheap to fix (i.e. stickers available singley from $10 each...front guard, painted $100, mirrors $25 etc etc, for those who know parts prices...they'll laugh at this). It's a good gear-lugger and half-decent pillion bike (for a 250).
    Brakes and suspension are a bit on the low side but then... it's not a Babyblade or such.
    Resale values are abysmal at this stage. I wouldn't buy new but have somebody else take the initial $1500-2000 dump, then buy at about $4000 with still a year of warranty left, as well as decent rego.
    Small turning circle and a neat 130+kmh tops, no fairings to worry about and cheap parts make it a good choice for any taller-built learner/ commuter. It's no rocket but still delivers decent amounts of usable fun.

6. They use different frames

7. funny that, i had always thought they used the same frames on the 650 and 250, dont know why. but now that i think about it, they're completely different eh :? the 250 is still HUGE for a 250, i thought my bandit was pretty big, but this is really big....

8. Really? I went into the dealer in Elizabeth st and the lady there told me they were the same except for the engine. I'll have to take another look tomorrow.

9. What I was told agrees with Deyago. Then again it was at the same place.

10. i'm pretty sure that the 650 has like an almost SVish tubular thing happening and the 250 has this cheaparse box thing. never occoured to me that they used different frames till nighty there said so tho :oops:

11. Yo, the frame is slightly different, 650 tube, 250box, the 650 swingarm is a bit more beefy but overall dimensions/ reach/ height/ footpeg placements and distances seemed identical, or close enuff to it anyway.

Diff fork in the 650 as well, both USD though.
    Seats/bodywork/bars/ instruments/tanks look identical.

Both good bikes for the money, the 650 LAMs restrictor is a great idea that other brands should look at (very common thing in many Euro-countries as well, like ....a BMW R850 with 27hp restrictor kit/ 45hp restrictor kit or open, all it takes to swap is a bike-workshop certification as to what kit/ no kit is currently installed)

12. yeh, i just assumed that cos of the size of them, they were using the same frame, and i think i heard it somewhere aswell. the differences are blatantly obvious tho....

13. Yeah the frames are definately different. Sorry if i seemed blunt or rude when i pointed it out, lol. I just thought short and sweet should get the message across. The 650 Lams would have to be the pick of the bunch for a naked Learner bike in NSW. Based on price and performance you cannot go past it. With the restricted carby slide in it is 'Learner Legal'. All up it costs about $140 to have the conversion done to make it un-restricted giving you an engine that puts out 1HP(79HP) more than the SV650(78HP, albeit the Hyosung is Carbied and the SV650 is EFI). All it is is a carby slide modification.

Note: They are sold as too seperate bikes. If you buy a GT650L (the restricted version) then you can legally go ahead and un-restrict when you get your full licence. HOWEVER you are Legally not allowed to buy the full power GT650 and then get the restricted carby slides done. The bikes have different engine stamps so the authorities can tell. Just another example of how stupid the government is.

GT650 Specs (includes side by side comparison with GT650L)

*Edited to include URL

14. Wow, how did I miss such obvious differences? I'm going to have to hand in my Motorcycle Spotter's card if I keep that up (Like a train spotter but sooo much cooler 8))

15. The 250 was originally designed to be able to share all major components with a 600cc version, but somewhere fairly early on they changed their minds and designed a new 650 from the ground up.