Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hyosung Comet 250 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Scumbag, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Ok now most of the Netrider community knows that Mrs Scumbag was knocked off her CB250 5 weeks ago :cry: Well it was a write off :cry:
    I have been searching for a replacement. Can any tell me anything about the biks mentioned in the subject line. Any and all information is welcome.

2. Personally, I don't like the look of them, but that's just me.

I picked up a copy of ARR a couple of weeks ago and they had a review of the Comet 650 (not 250), which they called somewhat average, nothing special.

That and the asking price for a Comet 250 seems to be up there with the sports 250s...
  3. Friend of mine used to have a Hyosung Aquila 250 (the cruiser they do) and didn't think much of it all. Apparently the quality of Hyosung still leaves a lot to be desired. Substandard parts, substandard assembly, all that jazz.

Just my .02
  4. i havn't heard anything bad about them besides the lack of field experience. ie, no one knows how reliable they are cos they've only been in the game a few years. anyone i know thats ridden one reckons they're pretty tops for the price, but i wouldn't buy one just because of the unknown factor. also, they're a fair whack taller than all the other 250 sports bikes, really is a massive bike for a 250.
  5. I have a 2002 Aquila, same mechanics as the Comet. The engine is strong and as sweet as a nut. Reliability has been excellent, and servicing has been no problem.
    I weigh 160kg and can cruise at 120kmh all day and have had it up to 140kmh. The first thing you should do at the second service is up the jet size, and make sure the exhaust is breathing freely.
    I have test ridden the Comet and found it was a little bit more responsive than the Aquila.
    All enquiries with the importer have been promptly answered, and there is a fairly good web site; http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/ with reviews of most of their models in the "Road Tests" section.

Most commonly seen as one of the best value new bikes available. Plus having been around a few years now, any of the early bugs have now been ironed out.
  6. After a short testride: it's a good naked 250, nothing really for shorter people (but can be lowered via the dogbones/ dropping forks plus seat-mods. Sturdy/ goes well for a 250 nekkid, over-engineered in many parts, has a good rep technically.
    It ain't a Baby-Blade but goes well/ brakes well a solid rear-end will carry luggage easily.
    Testride one at A1 in Ringwood and find out for yourself.
  7. Had a good look at an Aquila at an advanced riders course, the build quality looked reasonable, the owner was very happy with it.

Also had a quick peak at the Comet GT when wandering through town (it was parked in a laneway. Again looked OK.
    They seem to be what they're advertised as, basic no-frills bikes.
    IIRC $5,800 + ORC brand new. All the reviews I read re-inforced the "good value for money, honest fun bike".

Thinking about getting the 650 Comet GT (nekid, cos the R & S model headlights look poxy IMHO) as my "stepup from toofiddy" bike.
    650 does have weakish front brakes, apparently being fixed with the help of the Oz importer, and a softish rear shock. But hey, @ $8,599 + ORC you can afford to play with a rear shock and diferent pads :wink:

Here's a thought... how about Mrs Scumbag gives me 3.5 gorillas for my Across, and I'll buy the 650 Comet????

8. Hmmm nice thought, I am still researching at the moment. Mind you it would mean coming to Tassie to pick it up and doing some of those roads again.