Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hyosung, and the reasons behind the distaste?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Matt250R, May 22, 2007.

1. Hi everyone, I recently bought a Hyosung GT250R as my first road bike. After looking around at a few forums and speaking to a few people, I have found out the consensus around Hyosung is one of distaste. I have found the bike to be pretty good. Im just wondering if people do have a problem with the Hyosung family, what is it? Thanks!

2. They're quality has never been 'the best' - but in recent years it has been improving greatly.

I think the GT250R is a decent bike: you can buy it brand new, with warranty, and it's faired & sporty looking.

Most of the bad press probably comes from CBR250RRRRRRR owners, who are trying to convince themselves it was still totally worth paying $6.5k for a 15 year old bike that kills batteries :grin:
  3. No complaints here. Just ticked over 3000kms and it hasn't missed a beat.

I think if Loz stopped spreading his racist hate of the Hyosungs, the world would be a better place. :wink:

It does suck on the P's test though. fcukin cones! That could be the rider though. :oops:
  4. People don't like Hyosungs? Dude they need their heads read. Those bikes are the bee's knees.

For me, it's purely a quality thing. The further away you stand, the better they look until you sit on them and notice the bargain-basement clocks, dials and build quality.

Ride-wise, they're not far off other 250s, the engine's ok but the brakes have a very average feel to them.

The main thing is the fall-apartiness of them. Every week there's another story of brakes falling to bits, engine or gearbox issues. One mate rolled up to a tour to Adelaide with his new Hyo and we found the chain guard rubbing against his back tyre, and even depositing chain lube and muck onto the edges of the tyre. Quality failures like these on motorcycles can cost lives, not to mention confidence on the roads.

I've always maintained that it's excellent that the Koreans are getting into the act with cheap bikes to bring more competition to the market and hopefully drive down the already crazy looooow prices of the japanese bikes. However until they get their act together, buying them is a risk I wouldn't advise anyone to take.

So while I take the piss whenever I hear some new dolt has shelled out for one of these turkeys, I do hold out hope for the brand in the long run. Not because I'll ever be buying one, but because their competitive products might help me get cheap metal from the japanese somewhere down the line.
  5. Good bike for the money! Admittedly it is a cheap build, but that's what you pay for.
    I see it as the Hyundai of motorbikes. Reliability has not been an issue for me though.
  6. My mechanic who works for A1, had a few come in, one that wouldn't go properly, they took apart the clutch to find the material they use is like cardboard... another the front breaks weren't attached properly from factory... and you hear more stories from everyone else, just like Loz has said...

Hyosongs are to bikes, as what Hyundais are to cars... :)
  7. great until they "die" at 8900kms...
  8. LOL :LOL:

I have almost done 14,000 ks and still going strong.
    Yes, ive had a couple of small issues that have been immediately fixed by warranty... The major problems i had, were with Peter Stevens, not the bike.

As some have said, it is a cheaply made bike but i wouldnt think twice about the Hyo rather than a 15 year old bike that always needs work (that you have to pay for)... (lol Ktulu)

It looks hot, goes well for the weight of the bike and handles reasonably well. They are ironing out the problems that they have learned about through warranty claims which is definitely a positive.

I see them being a major contender in the market in the near future.

Also, just look at their sales over the past 12 months! PS told me that they sell more of the Hyos than the ever did with the CBR's :shock:
    I honeslty do think highly of the good old CBR's.. They go like a rocket, but the sad thing is, that they're just too old.

Aus. laws require the bike to be at least 10 years old before they can be imported here! So in reality, places are just banging them together, giving them a hot paint job and viola, sell them for $6k +

Anyway, in conclusion, i love my bike and thats all that matters...
  9. Then again, I also read a story about the new Ducati 1098 using plastic cambelt tensioners rather than metal ones you'd expect... the difference being, you could get three Hyo's for the price of Ducati.

But I'm not defending Hyosung either - tempted as I might be by the low price, I would not buy one because I don't trust them to stay in one piece... and I won't for a few years still. They are supposedly getting better but their quality problems are still a worry, because contrary to the popular opinion, they are not exactly new to this business - they've been producing the engines and various other parts for years.

... if only! Hyundais might not be the most exciting cars on the market, but their quality is pretty good. Often it is in fact excellent.
  10. Of course, they sell 2 bikes for every working one that's on the road.... ;) :p
  11. Im confused. How would Australian regulations allow a bike to be sold if there was a chnace it would fall apart?

Have you heard of any?

If so, i would be very shocked...
    I ride mine VERY hard all the time. As i said in previous post, ive done 14,000 ks + and still nothing has broken...
  12. Value for money second to none, I love it and would say it is a good bike. Is it a Honda? No, but it is pretty good. Consumables are on the cheap side, brake pads, batteries etc but if you are like me you tend to replace them with better ones along the way.

Issues raised like Loz's above [the loose guard and booga's loose brakes] are IMO mainly down to pre-delivery NOT quality big freaken difference. These things should be checked before a consumer picks up the bike. This is nothing to do with the brand of bike, could have happened on a Honda or a Aprilia.

I have never heard of brakes falling apart? No, but yes I have had to replace the pads but two sets in 28,000kms is quite OK IMO. My latest pads are some EBC so these may last better, they already feel better. My clutch cable snapped and then the replacement did, noobie mistake didn't grease it. So latest one is no issues at all.

Battery has cacked it, but letting it run down to many times will do that.

Hyosungs are "normally' purchased by people who are newbies to motorcycling, when they have a problem up it goes on the forums because they have no idea, like me :oops:

Loz I frequent this forum, koriders and have quite a few friends with Hyosungs and yes there have been some problems [go and have a look at the F800 forum for issues :shock: ] but is it 100% bullshit to say that every week you hear of a problem.

Are they the Hyundia of motorbikes? Nup I would say that they are the Ssangyong. Designed by people who know there stuff [Mercedes for the car and Suzuki for the bike] and then copied or cloned by the Koreans.

Your comment about maybe gtting some cheap Jap metal down the line is starting, aren't Honda bringing in a new CBF250 for the L plate brigade, Honda are Japanese aren't they? Well the bike is made in Brazil! So what you may see is less bikes being made in Japan.

Loz I think that you need to pull ya head in, you do it time and time again; that is have a go at the person and not the bike. If you don't like them then fine fcuk off and ride your Honda but everytime you have a go at someone [witness dolt comment] then all you do is annoy people.. :wink:
  13. A Story told by your speeding tickets.
  14. I apologise - I got carried away. I didn't mean they might literally fall apart, just that some of them tend to develop a lot of various problems. Some major, some minor - but all of them would be extermely annoying to me. Perhaps what I should say is that I don't trust them to stay away from the garage... and that to me is the most important criteria, far more important than performance, for example. My logic being, the best performance is of little use when the bike sits in the shop rather than on the road. That, and the fact I need my bike for commuting.

But if yours is going strong, congratulations - you've got one of the good ones.
  15. Thats ok, no need to apologise :)
    I guess sometimes i get a little defensive when people speculate on Hyo's when they dont own one etc etc.
  16. He upgraded to a Kwaka after he binned the Honda
  17. it will take a while to iron out all the production faults through warranty claims and recalls. no bike is perfect, and in a few years (or even now) they will be a great bike. just got to get over the teething problems.
  18. I like the hyo looks, better than other learner legal bikes (apart from rs125 and nsr150 repsol, obviously). Just comes down to a question of will they fall apart on me? The question still seems a very possible yes. Give them a few years I'm sure they'll be jap quality.
  19. Hmmm and 2 Storkes are renowned for there reliability...
  20. While 'new' manufacturers get into a market, someone has to buy their product. The Japanese were down this track in the sixties, bucking all sorts of post-war racist rubbish about the cars and bikes being cheap and shoddy copies of fine British and American designs. And, let's face it, the Nissan Cedric, for example, was an underwhelming dog compared to many cars in the same price range.

But let me tell you, the night I saw my first Honda 750/4 in Goulburn Street in Sydney all those years ago, I knew who was going to have the last laugh, and anyone who underestimates the Koreans, does so at his peril; they are deadly serious about market share, and will polish, tweak, adjust and fix anything and everything to create a solid reputation. And they'll get there faster than the Japanese did, because they have money to burn and if they set their minds on something, nothing will get in their way. In less than 5 years, mark my words, they will be building bikes of equivalent quality and performance as the market leaders, and selling them for 20% less.