Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hydraulic clutches

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Drew, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Is there a major advantage (or disadvantage) to have ing hydraulic clutches instead of cable operated?

Obviously there is the need for clutch fluid. So does this suffer the same fading effects as brake fluid? Same stuff?

If the fluid/tube fails what are theffects? stays in gesame gear or something more disastrous?

Just doing research as i have found a bike i think will do me nicely in about 12 months, just it has a hydraulic clutch.
  2. personally i like it, feels a little lighter to use.....but have heard reports of the seals leaking after a while, but in saying that all seals leak after a while.....it wouldn't turn me off a bike with one but at the same time won't be to fussed if it didn't have one.

cheers stewy
  3. cheers stewy.

I'd just never had anything to do with them.

now where's that blank cheque? :twisted:
  4. My new bike has hydraulic clutch - the old had cable.

The hydraulic clutch on this particular example isn't any lighter, but does have a shorter (though still obvious) pickup point/range. That said, the new bike is a 1000cc twin, so I suspect if it was a cable clutch it would be far too heavy. :p

No real advantage, other than that. Obviously you need to change clutch fluid occasionally, just like you need to change clutch cables. No biggie. :)
  5. Drew. Dont worry about leaks. They are usually lighter in operation. There is no cable to stretch and eventually break.
  6. Another positive for a hydraulic clutch is that it will never require adjusting. They are just as reliable as your brake master cylinder and callipers as they are essentially the same thing.
  7. If you look at it, I dont know of a new cage out there that has a cable clutch, they are all hydraulic. And from my cage experience, you'll know when the hydraulic clutch is going whereas a cable will just "go"
  8. The Minja's clutch is hydraulic. It works great and I change the fluid whenever I do the brakes. Lightness of the clutch is much more to do with the plates and springs than whether it's hydraulic or not.

The only disadvantage as I can see is that there's more shit on the bike when you're working on it - ie. for me to get the front sprocket cover off I have to take off the clutch slave cylinder. With a cable clutch, it's just routed through the bodywork onto the clutch side and there's less shit to do.
  9. I could tell quite easily the cable-driven clutch was going in my cage.
  10. Yeah, that sinking feeling when in the middle of peak-hour traffic you hear the bang and feel pedal hit the firewall is a dead give away :shock:

I much prefer a hydraulic clutch on my cars and want a hydraulic clutch on my next bike; more reliable and no sudden failures. I have had three cage clutch cable failures in the past and just caught my bike's when it had a few cable strands left. Cables are a PITA. Hyd clutch will be as reliable as a hyd brake set-up, i.e. very. Don't let your fluid get funky and a hyd set-up should give years of trouble-free service.

"Feel" will have little to do with hydraulic vs. cable. Feel will come down to leverage of the clutch lever and the actual clutch set-up, particularly the springs (I think Loz covered this already).
  11. cheers guys.

nothing to worry about then re reliability. :grin:

12 months to go and lots of $ to save.
  12. Really? My 2002 model was a cable clutch. Wonder what the deal was with swapping back?

As for those commenting on the reliability of hydraulic clutches in cars - I've only driven a few, but I have experience hydraulic clutch failure on one fairly modern car. I was extremely lucky it happened as I pulled into my driveway, because on that particular car the fluid for the brakes and clutch was shared! :shock:

And I had no idea it was going - it just pushed the floor and didn't come back up again. :p
  13. suzuki used to run cable clutch on their 750s and hydraulic on their 1100s.
    I don't know the specific reason but the cable clutch does allow you to adjust the take up point (good for race bikes) and the 1100 probable had heavier springs and was never designed for the track (well sort of).