Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hybrid Scooter

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by jd, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Taken from here:
    http://www.utas.edu.au/events/Media Releases/2007/hybrid scooter.pdf

What's particularly interesting is the fact that it's being developed as an add-on for existing scoots - could see it far more readily accepted than the fully electric varieties starting to hit the market. Though does seem to still suffer from the problem of the amount of time needed to break even. A 35% fuel saving means you'd need to have gone far enough to have used around 4 grand of fuel - which for a scoot would easily be 50,000+kms. Still it's a lot cheaper than buying an electric scoot or a Prius if you want to be seen as trying to save the planet I guess.

2. I'd run this if we weren't snowed under by tokyo auto show stuff right now, I might run it in a week or so. Thanks for posting.
  3. Personally knowing Steve and the struggles he has had with his hybrid scooter i'ld say "tedious journey" is about right. What isn't mentioned there is that the scooter is 2 wheel drive, with the electric motor driving the front wheel. And the 'able to reach 80km/h when both sources are working together' is slightly misleading, the electric motor cuts out at around 40km/h (from memory).
  4. that's great!! a hybrid scooter engine!!! Who would have thought!! And it comes from Tasmania!!! that's great news, because i thought that Tasmanians are backward and not up to date etc..
    That's great.... :applause:

oups, wait a minute... Hasn't Piaggio already developed a hybrid engine to fit the X8 and mp3? oh sh1t... someone need to tell that the School of Engineering that the wheel has already been invented...
    http://tinyurl.com/2msye6 ](*,)
  5. And in all that researching you didn't bother to read the entire article I posted the link to
    No one said it was new technology (only an Australian first) - but the fact it's being developed here makes it somewhat more relevant (and most likely a lot cheaper) than something being developed on the other side of the world. And the Piaggo system isn't designed to be retro-fitted to existing scooters either.