Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Supermoto' started by jsnrbraaap, Jan 28, 2015.

1. I've been reading up a lot about husky's lately and they seem to have a pretty solid reputation. Does anybody own a 511 smr or a sm610 that can give me a little review on the bike? I'm unsure which one would be best for me.. And there's not many reviews online for either. Thanks in advance

2. do you have a lot of money? if yes, then you can own a ktm, huski, husaberg, etc...
    if no, then go buy a wr250R. make sure it is the R.
    the only person i know to have owned a huski only ever had problems with it
  3. Nah not really lol. I keep getting told the drz's are the way to go but their not the nicest looking bike. The 250 wouldn't be much good for me, I'll be riding 100% road and I'm already on a ktm 390 duke so anything slower then that I probably wouldn't enjoy. What's the go with motards costing an arm and a leg? I can buy a bloody 600cc super sport for the same price as half the tards I've been looking at! I just want a wheelie machine that's good in the twisties & can handle cruising at 100-140km/h
  4. Husqvarna have changed ownership from BMW to KTM. I think at BMW they were an orphan child, KTM may make more of an effort to bring them into the fold. Hears hoping their Quality and reliability improves.
  5. I didn't know that. That's good news though because I'm a big Ktm fan their just a bit rich for me. The huskys are a lot cheaper though. I'll have to find out what year they changed ownership so I know what models to look out for.
  6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Motorcycles

Acquisition by Pierer Industrie
    Stefan Pierer’s ownership of KTM, Husqvarna and Husaberg
    On 31 January 2013 BMW Group announced that Pierer Industrie AG has bought full stake in Husqvarna AG for an undisclosed amount. The company is headed by Stefan Pierer, current CEO of KTM-Sportmotorcycle AG. On 1 October 2013, Husqvarna AG was renamed to Husqvarna Sportmotorcycle GmbH. It was announced that the company will be based at Mattighofen in Austria where production started on 11 October 2013.

Owing to the common ownership of Husqvarna (100% via Pierer Industrie AG) and Husaberg (51% via Cross Industries AG -> CROSS KraftFahrZeug -> KTM AG) by Stefan Pierer; Husaberg will cease to exist as a marque and will provide technical assistance to the newly resurrected Husqvarna brand.[5]
  7. supermotos cost money because you have to buy new break mounts, new disks, new wheels, new tyres, new sprockets and chains. then you have to either fit those yourself or pay someone to fit them, then you have to recalibrate your speedo, preferably muck around with suspension, and maybe change your front mud guard because aesthetics. not to mention that if you do that on any bike which isnt a drz 250/400, wr250r, klx250s/se, xr250r, crf250l then you will be doing regular maintence every 500-2000ks

do not get one unless it is only a weekend bike.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Or get an Ape SXV 550......
    Experience nirvana............once

Then cry as the top end, bottom end, or con-rod goes BANG!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I appreciate your honesty, it sounds like you've become pretty familiar with what it takes to make a good tard. I'm not mechanically savvy just yet, so I guess I'll hold out until I've learnt enough to be able to take care of all these things myself. I definitely don't have the money to have a dealer ripping me off for the maintenance. I'd enjoy doing all this shit myself, just need to learn more first. I've been riding for 4 yrs and only ever ridden street bikes and gotten them looked after by mechanics.
  10. Yeah I've heard they're a notorious pain in the ass lol. They look so sick though
  11. Cheers for sussing that out
  12. the general maintenance isnt really all that hard, the issue comes from failing to keep up with it. dirtbikes are made simple, if you want to learn it wont be hard. a good set of tools and a guide (forum, book, mechanic) is all you really need.
    im not trying to scare you off owning one. the two bikes i have owned were/are both street legal dirtbikes. but if you buy a huski 510 with plans of turning it into a sumo you are jumping in the deep end.
  13. I'm from the northern beaches & from what I've seen/heard a good mechanic in Sydney is a dime a dozen. I'm keen to learn though, this site looks like it is a good start. I was planning on just buying the 511 or 610 ready to go for the street. Or if my pockets allow it I was going to get the ktm 690 smc r because that pretty much fits the bill as far as what I'm looking for out of a tard & it's ready to go out of the box