Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Husqvarna SM610 hard to start and smoke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Noticibly F.A.T, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I rode my 2006 SM610 around 200kms on the weekend. I haven't ridden it for a few weeks. When i started it from cold, it blew smoke for the first 30 seconds or so, then stopped once warm. Rode fine. On my way home i stopped at a bike shop to do some window shopping and when i went to start it again it would not start. No matter what i tried i could not get it to start. As the engine was turning over it was sending little puffs of smoke out of the exhaust. Eventually i managed to start it and rode it to a mates place. I let it cool down for an hour and it started perfect, little or no smoke. I noticed on the way home the odd small bit of smoke but hardly any.

I tried to have a good listen to the engine on the way home. It's possible there is a small ticking noise coming from the engine under load, but i cannot be certain as the bike is very loud and vibrates a fair bit. The bike has had significant engine work done a good 5,000kms ago. the mechanic did say last time i took it in that he thought the (cam chain?) might need replacing if it's not been done recently.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem? I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff, just don't want to send it to a mechanic if the problem is an easy/moderate fix.

Thanks for any help,
  2. Above post is actually mine, forgot to log out of my bro's account :D