Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hundreds flock to see 'miracle painting'

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2up, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Hundreds flock to see 'miracle painting'
    Monday, June 15, 2009 » 06:53am

Hundreds of Christians have flocked to the Greek Orthodox Saint George church in the Israeli city of Ramle, upon reports a miracle spread throughout the country.

One of the paintings describing the battle of Saint George with the dragon had reportedly started to drip scented oil just before Sunday mass marking Pentecost, the decent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other believers of Jesus.

'On Sunday morning at eight o'clock, when the vicar get inside the church he smelt this special kind of smell, and he wiped with a cotton, and after an hour it come back again, and again for the whole day. And people heard about it and they came here,' Aida, a member of the congregation, told Reuters television.

'Its a miracle, I think God want to tell us something, that we are getting away of him, and he wants to tell us 'come back to me, to my arms, because you are very tired of your material life,' Aida added.

Only a handful of worshippers visit the church on a regular day, but since the discovery, it has attracted hundreds of Christians from all over Israel.

2. Christian marketing at it's best!
  3. shit the Greek Orthodox church has changed a lot if they now employ "vicars"
  4. I smell a rat :shock: !!...some naughty little choir boy is laughing his A$$ off as he keeps wiping oil on the painting!!

5. +1 .... oh besides that fantasy book they wrote a little while ago... what was it again... ;) :LOL:
  6. ..The life of Brian!! :p
  7. Why couldn't it be a miracle. Something that just can't be explained.
    Sheesh..humans think they know everything.
    Newsflash..they don't.

8. I do

9. I see your nose getting longer by the second smee!!! :p
  10. If smee knew everything he wouldn't be riding a BMW.. :grin: :grin:
  11. Tend to agree with you here. I dont think it really matters whether it is or isnt, if someone sees something like that and can walk away with a bit of hope I cant see how it can be a bad thing.
  12. Ah but that's where you are wrong.
    Us BMW owners and riders are all seeing and all knowing. :p

What do you ride anyways?
    Didn't catch it in your profile
  13. Miracles might happen... I suppose without a 100% proof positive argument for either the existence of, or absence of god - while a god of the bible is possible, miracles are possible.

What I don't get, though - is why the hell a painting of a saint would do anything?
    In the context of christianity, I find sainthood tantamount to idolatry and doesn't fit in the slightest with the christian view that jesus made possible for all; a direct relationship with god - without need for the old Judao-priesthood, sacrifice or intercession.

Weird, crazy Catholics...
  14. A painting that seeps oil? If we're going to have a miracle, couldn't we have something a bit more spectacular?
  15. Forget about the dripping oil. THE DUDE IN THE PAINTING WAS FIGHTING A F*CKING DRAGON!!!1

There's a long line of credibility starting to form.
  16. you could really make a girl happy if she sat on your face with that nose :LOL:
  17. :censored:.... ahem!!... I AM a girl!!...don't go there!! :p
  18. Yeah, this stuff always cracks me up. Supposedly there's this all seeing, all knowing, omnipotent superior being. So to convince people he's real he leaks a little scented oil from a painting? Woah, back off there, big guy - you're scaring the little'uns!

19. I totally agree with you. Many of the BMW riders that I've met have been complete "know alls". :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Back to topic..
    My thoughts are .. until we know absolutely everything about everything, 100%, no gaps, no theories on what may have happened, total proof without the usual plausible but unprovable scientific reteric then we can't rule out the possibility of a miracle occuring.