Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Humanity Still Exists...

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Steve41, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you my little story and how I got to the conclusion that there's still such thing in subject.
    I'm 4x and on my P since last month. I started riding the bike not as a lifestyle statement but to cut commuting time from north west Sydney to the City and it appears to be a good decision so far.

I'm riding a Honda VTR 250 with some mods already installed by previous owners and I love the look and feel of it, even though I think my 100 kg/180 cm looks a bit funny on this relatively small bike.

Anyways, I never rode a motorbike before and when I went to pick up mine, I was just fresh out of my L training without any experience.
    I had to ride home from south east Sydney on a rainy June night which I took as a sort of initiation process. "If I survive than I will never have any problem in the future...."

So I sat on the bike, received some quick instructions from previous owner about how to use the indicator, start the engine, where I can find the closest petrol station, etc., and off I went!
    I guess the guy was laughing out loud while I was trying to indicate at every corner and pushed the horn instead, so he could follow my way all to the next suburbs by just listening to the "honk, honk"s...

He also told me the bike has enough petrol to the closest petrol station, but in about the 3rd street the bike stopped and couldn't start the engine anymore.
    Needless to say, I was sweating heavily and had no idea what to do. There must be petrol in the tank, the guy told me, so it's the engine that must have some issue!
    After spending about 5 mins on cranking the engine, finally a tradie walked over from the garage of his house on the other side of the road with a can of petrol and told me to just to fill it into the tank, as it appears to be ran out of juice.

I was really embarrassed and it didn't help that people started to gather around us all with some good advice about what to do, but the bike still didn't want to start.
    The tradie told me he had no more petrol left at home, but just jump into his car and he'll drive me to the next station with his bigger can that we can refill and that should be enough even to home.

So that's just what we did. He was driving me to the next petrol station, I refilled the can and bought him some car cleaning stuff, coke and sweets as a return. I felt really grateful, but he didn't want to take any money and I didn't want to leave without showing my gratitude and that's all that I could do there and then.

Finally the bike started, he wished me safe riding and I was able to top it up at the next station. Of course I forgot how to use the choke and was running on full choke almost all the way home... I actually was wondering if that's the normal sound of the engine, but couldn't bother really as I was busy with everything else around me.

On the freeway after the bridge I realized I was in the wrong lane (geeez...riding the bike the first time on the road I had the same lost feeling as when I was driving a car the first time about 20 years earlier...) and I panicked so of course the engine stalled while riding slowly and desperately trying to change lane...

I didn't know the bike, the proper warm start sequence and I felt it was an eternity with some patience car drivers behind me while flicking switches, turning the key off and on, honking and indicating...
    Suddenly another bike stopped next to me on the freeway, a big, heavily tattooed guy riding some huge chopper and asked me if I need any help.
    I told him that it's all good, just bought the bike and trying to take it home, but thanks heaps for his offer!

Somehow I could finally manage to start the bloody engine, arrive home and not sure who to thank that I had not been killed on that dark, rainy night last June, but I'm still here kicking.

I sometimes still think about that day and to all those people who offered their help. Without them I might have ended up either in complete desperation and with a good chance that I will never ride again.

So here it is, humanity still exist and I had the chance to experience it myself. I'm planning to visit that tradie sometime this summer, just to bring him a cake or whatever. Less chance I'm afraid to find that chopper rider dude.

I've never really asked help from anyone in my life and always hits me when I receive such kindness from other people what I received from these in my story.
    Thanks for reading it all to the end and sorry for the lenght and the typos.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Welcome Steve, good story. Hope you get out into the country a bit on the bike and not just commute. The country twisty roads on a crisp spring day are close to heaven. :)
  3. nice story. sounds like a baptism of fire - rain, night, freeway. only thing missing was some roos!
  4. "I had to ride home from south east Sydney on a rainy June night which I took as a sort of initiation process. "If I survive than I will never have any problem in the future...."
    Buy a car now.
  5. Excellent story, excellent choice of first bike and hope that riding continues to bring out the good side of life for you...

The honking and indicating thing sounds much like my experience riding my bike home across 20km of unfamiliar Melbourne suburbs. And it wasn't until I pulled over at the first servo and experimented a bit that I figured out you needed to push the indicator button in to cancel, rather than just moving the switch to the centre position like the bikes I did my pre-learners course on.
  6. Good to see you survived and good to see others help. Just remember when you see someone else's bike on the side of the road whether it's a 'chopper dude' or whoever. Now just enjoy the ride...
  7. Steve41, what a very good story of people who are ready to help and a noob 'survival' in the urban jungle. It's a good initiation for you, and your eagerness to return the favour or gratitude to those who help you.
  8. Faith in humanity slightly restored after reading this :happy: :love:
  9. Nice one Steve.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of chances to pay it forward/back when you see other people in need of some assistance. I always try and stop when I see someone pulled over to see if they're OK. Mostly they say their fine etc, but some need some help or a phone etc...
  10. Good story Steve. There ARE a heap of nice people of nice people out there.
  11. Good to hear, even thou most people wont stop to help there are still some like myself that will happily help anyone :)
  12. Original post was October 30, Hope the riding is going smoother now
  13. Welcome Steve.......fantastic OP :D

Sometimes we all need to look around us and not sweat the small stuff........

Thanks for the share mate
  14. What a cheap asshole, couldn't even fill the tank for ya lol, or even put 10 bucks in, or even a couple litres from the mower can.

Good story though, and welcome.
  15. Well Done Steve (y) heck you were lucky getting Help ,
    it is rather Daunting to start out ...
    My Boulevard broke down on me December 2009, Tail Shaft let go and No On stopped , it was a Hot 30+ day and i was on the side of the road for 3 hours until town truck arrived ..

I still stop and ask If help is needed ,
    Actually a few weeks ago found a young Lad on the slide (Yarra Glen to Kinglake Vic ) he cooked it with a stick he;ping him slide he had gone into the ditch /embankment ,
    Hubby helped get his bike up and checked it over and i band-aided his Gravel rash Lot's of it and lot's of bandaid's too :applause:all stuck down and together we helped him as much as possible ,had a chat and sent him on his way Melbourne bound,he was a Lucky lad that day for sure (y)
  16. I've never been in the position to stop for another rider, but would like to think I would. I propbably wouldn't be of much help. Have certainly had both cars & other bikes stop for me when I have been on the side of the road
  17. Wow....Welcome mate.....
    Thank you for taking the time to thank those all involved, not many do that.....the stopping bit and the thank you bit.

18. Awwwww!

I just wanna give you a BIG HUG!

Glad you survived. :joyful:
  19. ^^By the look of your profile pic I wanna give YOU a big hug :D
  20. Hahaha naw hugs all round!!! =D