Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Huges in Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Huges, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Morning Netriders, my names Huges and I’m new here. I first sat on a motorbike in October 2011 when I got my Ls and realised what I’d been missing! So I bought my VTR 250, got my red Ps six months later, and thanks to the RTA’s rules for the more mature gentleman, I can go straight onto a full licence in April this year.
    My partner has been riding for years and has quite a collection of bikes – a BMW F650GS, a Honda Fly scooter and a Postie that hasn’t started for years, and she has fond memories of her old Monster 696.
    We plan to go touring together –weekends, a Tassie trip and overseas one day. To that end I’ve been eyeing off ex-police bikes for a while. For under $10k you can get a lot of bike, and the R1200RT has a reputation as a great tourer. But to get a kid on the back I’d have needed to convert it to a two seater, and I do like the idea of cruise control. Anyway, one thing led to another and somehow over Christmas I bought a proper 2005 R1200RT, not ex cop, for a good price and after another riding mate – a mechanic – had test driven it for me. Its only done 60k so there should be plenty of life in the old girl yet. Trouble is, all I can do for the next three months is sit on it in my driveway and make “Brrmm” noises!
    Lest you think I’m old before my time, I’m also keen to get a Triumph Street Triple. I prefer the round headlights and underseat exhausts of the original model, so I’m keeping my eyes open for a good one over the next three months.
    I’ve always loved tinkering with cars, but modern cars just don’t let you. On the other hand, I spent several enjoyable hours over Christmas taking the Postie apart to recondition it. Plus I’m customising it a bit with a new paint job and some new bits. Unfortunately I badly sprained my ankle (sailing, not riding) so it’s still in pieces in the backyard. I’m back up hobbling about, so this weekend should see some progress.
    The Old Pacific Highway is my favourite ride so far, but TBH I don’t even really mind being stuck in traffic. The pleasure of controlling the machine can be its own reward.
    I been lurking on these forums for a while now and decided it was time to get on board.

2. Welcome, from another 'mature gentleman'. Sounds like you've started riding, so better late than never!!!
  3. Welcome mate,

Where about in Sydney you from?

On a side note: Mouth I get you get an income to support the site with VigLinks and that's understandable, but thought I'll just mention just incase you have any control over how many they do, because 9 in the one post is too much IMO. For the record, I'm not whinging about viglinks, just the 9 in one post part.
  4. I was worried for a moment there you might have made a typo and been offering "Hugs in Sydney" :LOL:.

Welcome to NR.
  5. I'm in Neutral Bay, so its a bit of a hike to get to any really good roads. But like I said, I don't really mind the traffic. Any time spent on the bike is good time. Having said that, drivers on the phone or worse, texting, give me the willies. I hadn't noticed it was such an epidemic until I had to pay attention or die.
  6. yeah it gets like that, then you get over it and just ignore it all. You learn to read the warning signs and can spot a potential threat from a mile away, which makes them a non event. It's the odd one which catches you by surprise that will reset your heart.

It becomes a little:

7. Happy to offer hugs to qualified applicants. But sorry, blokes are not in my target demographic.
  8. Welcome to NR, HUGS, errr, Huges!