Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Huge countdown/countup timer?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Roaster, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Am looking for a simple LCD timer which can be seen from a distance for group exercises which has a count down and count up function.

I've seen apps you can get for a PC / ipad, but I'm not too keen on leaving my PC around where vigorous exercise is being performed, and I dont want to buy an ipad.

Was hoping that I could lay my hands on something like an oversized egg timer, but the ones I have seen in my searches for "jumbo timer" etc would only be visible from 3m on a good day.

Anyone come across any products which might fit the bill?

2. thanks akaluke and TheRuss. They look awesome but probably a bit over the budget I was thinking. Actually - it is a lot over the budget I was thinking (hoping to keep it on the low side of $50).

It is weird - I can get an egg timer for $10 but for something that is 2-3 times the size the price jumps 20-30 times. Maybe there is no market for egg timers of gargantuan proportions now that investment in ostritch farms has waned.
  3. What sort of time scale do you want. I have some 6inch 3 digit seven segment displays in my junk box. Would they need to be daylight readable. These probably aren't they are early generation LED.

Are you willing to build the LED display yourself from discrete LEDs?
  4. You should be able to pick up a wheezy old notebook (perhaps missing a few pixels on the screen) for somewhere around that price. In fact I'm sure you'd be able to find a freebie if you knew where to look.
  5. Electronics are not a strength of mine.

Was hoping for an oversized LCD egg timer type thing.

No need for them to be day / night - we are doing group exercises but mainly under cover during the day.

Not a bad idea - might trawl gumtree.
  6. Jazzfan's idea is not bad. Even an old PC with a CRT screen probably well within your budget.
  7. OR....

you could just get one of those salter kitchen timers and put a feckin' great magnifying glass in front of it :)