Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Howdy

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Puff, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Hi folks,

I've been reading the forum for a month or so and decided there is too much good info here not to be a member.

I live out at Point Cook in Melbourne's west and have been riding for 13 years. I commute to work everyday, rain / hail or shine and did some time as a courier around my late teens, early twenties.

I ride an 07 HD 883L Sportster, and have had FZR 250 prior to that.

Look forward to catching up with you all.

Cheers,

Jeff.

2. Hi Jeff, And Welcome. Would love to hear some bike courier war stories, I bet there are a few close shaves. :)

3. Hi Jeff. Wlcome to NR.

At Point Cook you're not too far from the Coffee night at Williamstown on Mondays. Why don't you drop in and introduce yourself. It's a good way to meet people.

We're a friendly lot and the bullsh!t is first class.

4. hi and welcome to netrider

5. GreyBM, happy to bring a shovel and contribute. Let me know the details and I'll make my way there. I've 2 little boys so I won't be able to get there every Monday but will definitely turn up in the next few weeks.

cjvfr, I used to have a close shave almost everyday. In retrospect I rode like a lunatic to make money (funny how perspective changes 10 years later) and didn't do any of the things I do now in traffic like riding to be seen, owning my space, having an exit, etc.

The closest...I worked in Perth at the time and in the CBD and inner suburbs there are a lot of 1 way streets and some of the smaller ones confused some people. I was flying down one that was barely a laneway (I was travelling the correct direction) when a car populated with fluffy toys turned the wrong way into the street and headed straight for me. I dodged the car to the left, mounted the footpath, which was only a few feet wide, shoulder slammed the building wall (and scraped the FZR a little).

I got off the bike, had about 4 cigarettes and waited about 20 minutes for my hands to stop shaking. I'd only been riding everyday at that stage for about 3 months so it was a fair scare for me and lucky I didn't do any real damage to me or the bike.

The driver never stopped, which is probably for the best because I would have given her a scare about the same as she had given me.

I've been really lucky in that I've never dropped the bike. The closest I came to an off is when I was lightly side swiped about 6 months ago by a driver performing a U turn on Lonsdale st, from the left lane with her left indicator on.

6. Welcome to NR. Nice ride :)