Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by foot69, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I was replying to a post in another section of the forum and it turned into a bit of a yarn about bikes I've owned. Thought it might be more appropriate here.

When i started out it was trail bike or road bike.
    So i started on a 250 motosport trailly cos baby road bikes were pissweak..
    Then bought a Kawasaki S3 400 triple because it was cheap, and 2 stroke. it flew, but didnt handle. A mate had a Z650 kwaka so I thought one of them would be pretty cool, Saw an ad in the paper for a 650 kawasaki so went and had a look and rode home on a pre unit W1SS from 1966. Had a smidsy with an idiot and went to an XS650 yam, then another xs650 with a rigid frame that taught me how to avoid potholes and ride a bike that didnt stop or handle.
    The payout came through from the W1 and a trip to the bike shops ended up with a Z1R mk2. First time down the GOR on it and i was trying to keep up with a guy on a VF750F coming home the back way. Minor misshap with a closing radius corner and some gravel ended in a very scary trip between the tree trunks and down an embankment. Bent forks and throw the front guard to buggery got it rideable, although it took 4 of us to get it back up to the road.
    New forks and its beautiful again. Another so called smidsy a few months later, although the prick was looking straight at me the 3rd time he cut me off, and the bike was written off, Bought the wreck back for $500 and put the engine in an ex road race z1000mk2 rolling chassis I picked up out of the trading post.. Still with the z1r rego.
    Parked it out the front of a mates one night and some pond scum decided I didnt need it anymore.
    About 6 months later the insurance check came through and I bought a gsx1100. Rode it everywhere until i decided a trip to Darwin was in order so traded for a new DR600, information I got was a little misplaced, as the people I talked to said big trailbikes were the go for the territory, Got there and everyone is on big jap bikes..
    which brings us to about 1985..