Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Petsol, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Hey All,

I’ve been reading these forums for some time, finally signed up about a month ago and thought I’d introduce myself. From Brisbane, had my motorbike learners for over 10 years but only decided to get my licence June last year. Got a job in the Valley and got the bike for practical reasons (fuel economy & no parking costs). But now, as everyone said would happen the thrill and enjoyment of riding is my primary reason for owning one. :grin:

I did a Q-Ride course through HART, which was great and can’t wait to go back and get my full licence in three months time. I ride over 70K’s each day, in all conditions and on highway and city streets, which all combined has really taught me heaps, but I think I’ve still got a long way to go (especially about how bikes magically turn invisible to other drivers on the road).

Friends say it’s time for me to do an advanced riding course, which I think is a great idea, anyone know of any good ones in Brisbane?

I bought a new Kawasaki Ninja 250R last year, which is great for commuting (~400KMs between fuelling up and only costs around $20). Luckily haven’t dropped or stacked it and only had a couple of newbie close calls (locking up rear wheel in first few weeks due to panicking and drivers not seeing me).

Anyway, really finding these forums great, especially good to see posters that emphasise the importance of safety gear. I always wear a helmet, protective jacket, gloves, and long jeans as a minimum, but now started wearing my proper boots again after viewing a link to ride2die.com from a post here somewhere - warning has some graphic content, but makes you realise the importance of it all. Also invested in some draggin jeans, but might get leathers for when winter arrives.

Well that’s about it for now, looking forward to getting some advice from you guys on my next bike once I get my full licence - about 91 days - not that I’m counting or anything ;)

2. how do you manage that?

welcome :)
  3. Welcome to Netrider, lots of good stuff for learners here, even ones who've been learners for 10 years :LOL:.
  4. Hi from another Brisbanite. Stay Upright do Advanced courses at Mt Cotton and Lakeside raceway, I'm going to one of these next month, have been told they really help with perfecting cornering and braking, etc. (always a good thing to work on). Anyoo, welcome to Netrider.
  5. Yeah, too lazy to get lessons or do a course, but now I wish I had and got the licence back then - would love not to be restricted to a LAMS bike.

I think I came across them on the web a few weeks ago, the courses look interesting, so might consider booking the Advanced I course in the next few months.

I presume you take your own bike there - does anyone know if insurance covers your bike for these type of events? I heard from someone that normal insurance generally doesn't cover bikes that go on a track. It's controlled conditions so I don't think anything will happen, but just curious.