Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Howdy Netriders!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Haplo8008, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

My name is John and I have been lurking around here since June. I decided it is finally time I introduce myself properly and start getting a bit more involved in the forums. Kind of hard without a bike or any practical riding experience, but that will be changing soon...

I am originally from New Mexico, USA and moved to Sydney two years ago. I went back to visit the US during half of April and all of May. While I was there I had my first ride on a road bike. My stepdad decided to get into motorcycling, and he bought a Ninja 500 while I was there. That was the final nudge to push me from the realm of fantasy to a full blown obsession with motorcycling. I have been saving money for gear and a bike, and I am getting pretty damn close. I am booked in to take the pre-learners course at Botany on the 8-9th of November. I plan to buy my gear before that, and hope to buy a bike as soon after that as possible. My patience is starting to wear thin, but I know it is worth it, and what else can I do.

In the mean time I have been reading books, RTA literature, and these forums, but they are a poor substitute for the real thing. Soon...

Oh, and my avatar is just something ridiculous I found after a quick search of google images before anyone asks.

Cheers,

John

2. Welcome John :).

Love the avatar :LOL:.

3. Welcome aboard John

4. G'day! There are some good books mentioned around the Forums, if you haven't found them yet.. have a quick search.

5. Thanks guys, thanks Thera. I was given a copy of Twist of the Wrist years ago, so I have read that. I have also read "How To Ride a Motorcycle" by Pat Hahn and "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. I need to get a copy of the first book of his. He says in the second one that it is more accessable if you have read the first, but I felt like I had no trouble understanding what he was talking about. It did take me a while to figure out what an edge trap is though. I dont know how much benefit I will gain from any more theory though, I need practical expreience. :?