Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Howdy from Brunswick

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Matt Attack, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Hi guys,

In the last few weeks i have been trawling this site for bits and pieces and thought i would post the progress of my build to date and start to document my wins and frustrations.

Anyway, I am a PhD student who welcomes the distraction of tinkering around with the bike.

I have been a rider all my life, and spent years and 000's on my RS250, which is gathering dust, in need of a few hours of love and a new cassette gearbox - which is sitting on the seat.

I love that RS and only ever took it to a mechanic once. Learnt the hard way that mechanics in Australia and Aprilia's are like signing a blank cheque. Over the years I rebuilt gearbox, tuned the carbs, did 4 top end rebuilds, and repaired it after a nasty trip down the road without me on it. but that was 10 years ago.

Just before easter this year I bought a new (old) bike. Just something to put around on and maybe get my girlfriend to take up riding. However, at easter time i lost a long term friend after he came off his bike. so starting to pull the bike down and fix it up has been a good chance for me to still engage with the bike without having to ride it much. I definitely want to get it back on the road but i am not in too much of a hurry.

so that's me, owner of a 01 rs250 and 1990 gn250. check the build forum for the new build post :)

cheers for all your help already!

-Matt

• Like Like x 1
  2. Howdy Matt AttackMatt Attack and welcome to NR. Take your time getting back on the bike and we'll be sure to keep an eye on the build post!

3. #3 Matt Attack, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Thanks goldenberri!

4.  Top
  5. welcome aboard :)

6. Cheers Andrew and jeffco, I can't wait to become further distracted with this site :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome Matt :cool:

8. Welcome to the nuthouse Matt AttackMatt Attack,
    Nice place to ride, the northern rivers.... I frequent those parts in almost all my day rides in the GC.

Slow and steady, for getting abck into it, the progress and also introducing the sport to your gf. :) I wish you luck and I'm sure she'll love it!

I'm jealous about the RS250. That is one bike I would love to throw my leg over but gave up on looking for one when I realised the cost of maintaining it (I hav eno mechanical experience!). So kudos to you for doing so.
    Make sure you put up the photos and introduce your rides on the "showcase" section of this forum and check out the rides under "events"

Buena suerte! :)

9. Welcome to NR from Adelaide. I have a RS250 but.......................it is a 1980 Honda.

10. #10 Matt Attack, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016

Thanks mate, been really looking forward to meeting some riders and going out for some events.
    The RS250 was definitely not more trouble than it is worth, but good luck finding one in general. i will never get rid of mine no matter how poor I get. If you find one, i know my way around them pretty well I could always give you a hand :)

Thanks mate!

HAHAHA you may have seen a custom full carbon fibre fairing RS250 riding around adelaide until last year, that was my brother, now it lives in Perth.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Take a look at my RS250......................it is not standard. IMG_1178.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. I like it! Always loved the tail of this model! i bet you its much less a pain in the arse than the RS

13. In 150,000 km, it has had
    1/New stator
    2/New coil
    3/Front rotor
    4/Cam chain
    5/New kick starter
    6/New rear wheel bearings
    The rest was normal service. Plugs, chains, etc

14. that is nothing for that many km's! Kudos!

15. gday Matt AttackMatt Attack welcome to NR - I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

best of luck with the rebuild/restore, I wish I had that type of skill and patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thanks mate, its been a tough year. I am looking forward to getting to know more riders though and getting this project done.

heres the link

First Build - GN250 project

• Like Like x 1
  17. Welcome to NR...

:D

18. very nice mate, great pics. thanks for the link.

19. Nice work Matt welcome

20. Welcome to the forum mate