Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Howdy from (a little too) sunny QLD :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by DragonCypher, Nov 2, 2009.

1. I've had my bike for a little while now so I thought I may as register here, little did I know I already did ](*,)

Anyways, my name is Chris and I'm 18,
    grew up on the Sunny Coast but am now living in Warwick and studying a Diploma of Motorsport at the local tafe.

Got my bike license around the end of May this year and bought myself a 1984 Honda Integra VT250F
    Its a little old and dodgy, but it suits me well and has survived almost 3,500kms with me since I got it

Being only new to this I'd say I'm a hell of a long way from being an experienced rider, but due to my background in mechanics and motorsport I have a fair knowledge of how these machines work.
    I've also been privelaged enough to take it out on a race track a couple of times through Tafe.

I look forward to meeting a few fellow riders, and learning as much as I can while I'm here

This is how I bought the bike: (from ebay)

And after 1 day of sanding and spraying with a single can of Wattyl Killrust:

Had several mechanical issues in the beginning, but after a carb rebuild, coolant/oil flush and resetting the cam timing and tappets it seems to go alright.
    Still 1 intermittent problem bugging me where it drops a cylinder completely on the highway, but its happening less often so I'm not too worried at the moment.

2. Hey that's a great visual improvement for one days' work Chris, you must work pretty fast(!)
    Welcome to the forums
  3. "Diploma of Motorsport" ?? That sounds very cool! What does it involve?

Nice work on the bike.

4. Your bike looks totally different with a good paint job!
  5. The first year of the course is basically a fast tracked version of a mechanics course.. it covers most of the basics, but you need to have a fair understanding of mechanics first..

The second year consists of more media, team management etc, plus the more advanced stuff like tuning motec ecu's and aerodynamics.

The majority of pit crews and race mechanics in motorsport come from woodonga in victoria, where they have a Tafe (much larger than ours) doing the exact same course with more students.

Personally I'd like to get into either CAD design or drag racing

And dont be fooled by the paint, if you get within 1m you start to notice all the edges missing from its fights with the road, the misaligned bolt holes and the insane amount of dirt and bugs on the front because i cant be assed to clean it 8-[

6. good job, welcome bud