Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Howdy - Another new member + gear and cost of getting mobile

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Free Lunch, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Netrider seems to be doing pretty well attracting new members at the moment.

Thought I'd better make the almost traditional greeting.

I've just gotten myself sorted with my first bike. The advice on netrider was really useful in helping me decide what to pick up, so thanks to everyone who replies to newbie questions out there.

If other new bikers are interested, after much deliberation I've ended up with:
    1991 suzuki GN250 - $1600 + $300 worth of work
    Rjays leather jacket - from a friend, worth $400
    Nitro 510 V, white - $150
    Draggins - $180
    Old 6inch hiking/work boots that I've had for years
    Rjays gloves - from a friend
    bike cover -$60 - very neccessary if you have no garage and lots of salt

So $2300 later I'm riding and loving it. See you round the forums...

2. No such thing as a free lunch! lol! Welcome to the forum!

3. I guess I'm one of the new members, though I've been reading for a while now.

I'm on my full licence now, thanks to NSW's system for those over 30 with gold cage licences. Currently riding (or will be once I fix the electricals) a 1988 XT250, though I'm looking to upgrade to a 600cc sports tourer in the near future.

My costs to get on the road were pretty similar. $1000 for the bike, $400 in bits and rego/insurance, jacket $200, boots $300, gloves $60 and helmet $150.

Anway, back to the grindstone for me!

Christian.

4. Welcome to the forums Free Lunch and Straun. :)

5. Welcome aboard :D I wish I had friends who gave me bike gear :(

Lisa :twisted:

6. Hey Free Lunch. I too am on my L's in the Eastern Burbs of Sydney. Thats a good price that you got mobile with. You can't go wrong with the GN250.

7. G'day Straun and Free Lunch!! Welcome aboard!!

FL, I had a GN for my first bike and loved how cheap it was....shame I ran it into the ground 3 months later :shock: :twisted:

Happy riding peoples!!!

:D :D :D

8. welcome newbys.... Great to see new riders on the road!

9. I decided I needed the retail therapy and lashed out on some decent gear.

Dianease Jacket, Shoei Helmet, Draggin Jeans and Alpine Star Gloves and Boots.

Looks like i'll end up with the bosses 98 Across as the 1st bike which is nice :)

G

10. Ta. There are a fair few people who ride bike up to UNE here, so it's nice to know there are a few sympathetic faces around the place. I've not had any adventures yet with mad drivers, apart from one who decided to overtake me during school hours in a 40 zone.

I'm currently looking at a 2000 Suzuki SV650S in Tamworth that's going for $6500 as my upgrade. Of course, talking the better half into the idea is the really hard part :D

Christian.

11. Thanks for the welcomes guys!