Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Howard's gun legacy - 200 lives saved a year

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Roaster, Aug 30, 2010.

1. This topic has been touched on before. I'm no fan of the little toad but agree that this is one part of his legacy which did the country a lot of good.

It is interesting to see some quantification of the effects of the buy back.

I know there are a number of pro-gunners here - any thoughts on the numbers?

2. I wonder how much other methods of suicide went up by?
  3. That was my first question too, but according to the article:

4. hmm, interesting.
  5. I had the same question as Lilley. The reply is interesting.

I do have a minor issue with the illustration accompanying the table though. I doubt if that weapon, whatever it is, was exactly typical of the guns subject to the buyback. I'd imagine there were far more sporting, but, of course, far less excitingly aggressive looking, firearms involved.
  6. Fair point - that's the media for you.
  7. Bollocks. Don't you know everyone carried a Heckler & Koch MP5 with no magazine?
  8. What do you guys mean? I still own one... :-s

(i've never shot a gun in my life... i feel... unfullfilled :( ... 8-[)
  9. I'm hesitant to accept this at face value. Again, correlation != causation. If you're going to stick a gun in your mouth and make a right mess, semi-automatic as compared to single shot/double barrel etc is not really what I would think would be a consideration for most. After all, you're only pulling the trigger once.

Could it be that over the past decade mental health awareness has increased, there is more wealth, and less unemployment, stopping people from getting to rock bottom in the first place, and for those that make it there, there's a plethora of councilling services, medications and support to stop them looking for that out?
  10. Personally I favour grandad's Webley .455 with its funky break action and its handy ability to stop a charging elephant :D.

Besides, I can't be arsed to reload enough cases to keep up with the ammo consumption of anything automatic :D.
  11. The number of households that have access to firearms was reduced by 50%. This would have an effect on firearm related suicides but yes, it is hard to pin all of the reduction in suicides to firearm reduction.

I'm not sure that we've made that much progress on mental health tho. Mental Health is still seriously under funded and every agency involved is stretched.

There is greater awareness thanks to groups like Beyond Blue.
  12. According to one VicPigs investigation team - apparently not.

I can't find a web link but I remember when I was young a wife was found with two rifle shots through her head and the Pigs at the time ruled it as suicide.

A bolt action rifle.

It took some massive investigation later on to dig it all up and rule murder and find who ever etc etc...

Someone older then me might be able to remember the exact details of the case.
  13. Are they seriously suggesting the tool of suicide is the cause of suicidal thoughts?

14. No, the suicidal thoughts are still there. A gun is an easy method of suicide, except for those cleaning up afterwards. Other methods of suicide require a bit more planning and/or a lot more guts.
  15. Not really. I would suggest that the masacre in Tasmania, which prompted the firearms reduction, had more effect on the use of said firearms in a suicide attempt.

In fact, the masacre probably prevented some suicides in that it woke people up to the value of their lives, and the impact their suicide would have on others.

The study probably fails to take that effect into account.
  16. I dont think so. It doesnt seem like they are trying to demonstrate causation, just a correlation and other benefits. Ie. whatever the cause, firearm suicide has dropped.

Perhaps just that less people are willing to go the whole way without so easy an exit?
  17. I doubt that would have a lingering effect. Maybe the first year but has disappeared from thought.
  18. There's something very iffy about the timing of this article, and who was/is involved in it's research.
  19. I don't care much either way, but why should we believe one study over the other study when they got differing results?

Isn't one as likely to be as wrong as the other?
  20. Can anyone find some sort of peer review for this?