Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how well does it work?!..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by BoogieMan, Oct 10, 2007.

1. So I've scored a puncture right, rear wheel, nice big nail, been there for a while.Yet only recently the tyre has developed a slow leak....

Now, as it's a shaft drive and the tyre will soon be up for replacing... shoudl I try one of those 'puncture repair in a can' things?.... will it still seal if the nail is still there.... it's goign to be too expensive to get the wheel off JUST for the puncture and Basically I'm looking for a bandaid..... at least til I finish with the type....

Any thoughts?

2. leave the nail in and use the can?

Dunno, thoughts? would it leave a mess on the rim?
  3. If you are about to replace the tyre, do it now. Problem solved
  4. The repair kits are only a "last you to the next tyre place" solution. Most of them recommend that you don't exceed a certain speed and weight once you have used it on your tyres.

I second MVrog, I'd get it replaced now.
  5. Ditto; if the budget is up to it, replace it now.
  6. +1

Those cans are like space-saver spare tyres; only designed as a stop-gap measure and are not meant to be used for day or weeks on end.
  7. Just swap it with the left, rear wheel :LOL: :p
  8. how would you go with a mushroom plug? where you pull the nail out, stick some sticky stuff in it and it seals it? good for a temporary measure
  9. Get a rope plug in it, but go to a regular tyre place, where they won't try to tell you how dangerous they are and sell you a $250 tyre that just happen to have in stock and can fit right now!
    Don't use the shit in a can, it makes tyre removal and replacement a nightmare.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. Simple replace your tyre or get it fixed properly or maybe fall on your ass :wink: Try getting that fixed cheap :shock:
  11. It is only 35 bucks to get a plug, if you can't afford the new tyre right now get a plug it isn't much.
  12. ..bbbut dont plugs cause cancer and malformed offspring?? :p :LOL:

i'd plug it too :)
  13. Don't use the stuff in the can - it roots the inside of the tyre and makes it unpluggable,.

14. HAHA Clever!!!!! :p

Cheers for the input everyone... Replacing the tyre was high on the list, just seems a shame to replace a tyre that still has tread on it :p ... I was just curious as I have a can of the stuff and wondered how long it could work.... but it seems my options are few.

15. Puncture

Rope type plugs are un-roadworthy for road use in Victoria & have been for a while. In 20 years in the tyre industry I've seen them fall out & leak. The worst is the tyre is not taken off the rim to inspect the inside for run-flat damage & I've seen a few where the internal cording was destoyed with rope plugs fitted. How much is your life worth?
  16. Re: Puncture

I have to agree, I would plug it to get it to the shop, and replace it.
  17. Re: Puncture

...and with 72000kms on the roads so far this year, the danger of being PRESENT on the road and being involved in a fatal accident is as/if not more common. want to ride your bike on our roads...how much is your life worth?
    everything has its risks, over-analysis of what any of us consider to be reasonably foreseeable would stop us from doing anything at all :!:
  18. Jeez, lucky all the rope plugs I've used over the years have held.....for up to 25k kms.......FFS.........
    "Oh my god, they're unsafe cause some fcukwit drove for 300kms on a flat tyre, had it plugged and the tyre delaminated, the plug caused it".
    WHat a huge pile of steaming bullshit.

Regards, Andrew.
  19. bought a new bike. on a long weekend got puncture with 600km on the rear.

mushroom plug on the monday- was told to get a new tyre asap. too dangerous etc.

rode on said tyre for 8075km.

yes, i was not for a second ever concerned about the plug.

I was concerned about the shthead mechanic ripping the tyre off my brand new bike - so i ripped it right up him.

never did buy that replacement tyre from them.

went to someone else, bought the tyre i needed. plug was still in tact, and unmovable.

done properly and with care, mushroom and rope style plugs can last for a long time - it is always best to replace an older tyre though - the tread is whats important - not plugging a baldie.
  20. Be a real man, and do a big ripping burnout, in front of all of your mates. That will get rid of that nasty excess tread. Then go and buy a newie. Your mates may even chip in a bob or two, for the entertainment.