Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How well do you protect your bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by whoopsy, May 19, 2008.

1. I am curious to hear about how well you secure your bikes over night, particularly those who live in apartments.

I live in an apartment and have a parking spot in the carpark with a security door but no lockable individual garage. The space i have is limited however i have come up with the idea of using a race stand bolted to the floor to keep the bike upright and minimise the space the bike takes up and chain the bike to a seperate floor mount also dyna bolted to the floor.

I also have a dirtbike and a car so the need to minimise the space used essential. I was intending to do the same with it.

Is there a cheaper way of chaining the bikes to the floor than forking out $140 each for the floor mounts i see at the bike shops?

How do you secure your bike?

2. it'll be pretty unsafe for a small compact area like you have to keep puttin the bike down from the stands and not hitting the car or scratch the wall.

maybe Rear and front Disc locks with the fluro reminder cable just incase u get up late and rush to the bike and forget there's 2 disclocks.
  3. Im in the same boat, but my bike has already been knocked over and had a crack put in the fairings.... So annoyed.

Now ive put a disc lock on and put it on the centre stand nothing has happened
  4. i think the disc lock would suffice ?
  5. I'm in a similar boat, but what I try and do is chain it to a fixed object. I have a down pipe at my space so the chain just goes through the front wheel and around the down pipe.
  6. Been thinking about this myself.

Our house has a carport which is open to the street. I was thinking of getting a big fat chain and chaining a wheel to one of the carport brick pillars, but carrying a big chain around on my journey to and from work doesnt sound like much fun, so a disc lock seems like the go for 'portable' security.
  7. I live in a unit complex and I just insure my bike. If it gets stolen i'll get a new one.
  8. Send the wife out each night to watch the bike :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  9. I live in an apartment complex with undercover parking in shared carports and use a cable lock which I anchor to one of the carport posts.
  10. sleep on the bike
    problem solvered :p
  11. It helps, but if a proper bike thief wants the bike, you'll get home to find a chain and a wheel.

There's the saying that if they want it enough, they will get it. That is often treated as implying that there's nothing you can do; on the contrary it really implies that it's a matter of who wants the bike more: these security issues come down to making it too much effort / risk to steal, balanced with the effort it takes to keep that up on a daily basis. A good chain through the frame to a fixed object (I use a kind of rigid thing covered in plastic - easier to 'thread' it through the frame without hurting paint), a disk lock with an alarm - or a fitted alarm in a hard to muffle place - and a bike cover make a good basic system. Have the bike insured and beyond that live with the vulnerability of the things we love!
  12. If you can get through a frame part :p

I usually lock through the read wheel and swingarm, (when in the city) but I have a courtyard and live in the damn country so a bike cover is all the protection I need.

As for locking in tight areas, I'd go the bolted in race stand and dynabolt scheme. you say ~$150 is alot for locking up the bike, but then if that stops your bike getting stolen you save ~$500 for excess, plus having to wait for the insurance/ police report, new bike etc etc etc

just my 2c :)
  13. Yes, it helps if you have an old-fashioned bike! :)

I alluded to muffling alarms. I have messed about with some alarms, and a t-shirt or towel over the siren will soon muffle it to the point of being useless! I'm sure a serious thief could muffle one very easily. That's why a hidden alarm is better - let it surprise them or I've no doubt they could take preventative measure before it sounds. Maybe I'll put up a thread about this.

14. I think a can of gap filler into the alarm speaker box would probably do wonders before you moved the bike to set the alarm off ;)

(Motorbike thieves disregard this post)
  15. I have had 2 bikes removed from me, when in the Elwood area, small block of apts etc, I went with a super old / sun bleached bike cover, chain and disk lock, the older / and dodgyer the cover the better,
    Also maybe a heshion, and or boat type tarp, covered in crud, " can be fun to do the crud covering bit" and then just throw it over, and run a rope / cord etc around, a blanket over the bike can keep it protected from the crud layer, although it suck on a rainy night to go back out, after taking of the warm gear to cover the bike due to the heat etc trapped on it prior to turning it off, how ever if the system you use is KISS then you tend to do it all the time,
    cheers al
  16. My bike's insured for more than it's worth! :arrow: all I leave on it is the key and a sign saying "Go on... no-one's watching..."

I have heard stories of locks being picked, wheels with disc-locks on them being left behind, alarms bypassed, ignitions cracked open, chains being cut... I have NEVER heard of a bike being taken or damaged while under the protection of a well-trained friend:

17. lock up garage, wewt :)
  18. same.

But if someone really wants it, they will get it..

I work emergency shuttering (securing broken windows and doors) when im not studying.

Most jobs are from some prick breaking in to steal something, and 99.9% of the time the neighbors are home and see nothing or don't care, and if they don't succeed the first time they WILL come back eventually, so learn from it and add more security. We don't give criminals enough credit, they watch for patterns and strike when they know they are safe.