Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA How Very Australian....

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by modern_ninja, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Driving to a friends house today for a bbq and cars coming in the opposite direction kept flashing their lights... Clearly "the po-po is in the vicinity"

Anyway, as we get close there is an australian flag on the roof of this ute and a big sign on the back saying

"BE CAREFUL SPEED CAMERA"

Looked like it was written on the back of a real estate sign. :D

Is it even legal for someone to do that?

2. No. Not in most states anyway, although I can't remember what the exact charge was last time I heard of someone being booked for it.

3. who cares!?? it's the right / moral thing to do!

4. They are not speed cameras they are safety cameras they keep telling us so. The sign must have meant something else ;)

5. There could be a hidden meaning in this also :

Be careful cobber - when you speed you might accidentally bump your camera. Havagudwun and Happy 'stralia day, dingo !

(y)

6. I was told it’s legal if you have a sign up if you stay with it, but it’s illegal if you put up a sign and just leave it there.

I don’t know what state or even if it’s right, but there is a special place in heaven for people that do it.

7. Which completely vilifies all the comments about cameras being revenue raisers. Because clearly, if they were there for safety, then a sign warning people of the camera would cause them to slow down - which if we believe the 'man' is what it's all about.

Hypocrisy at its purest.

8. It is illegal to flash your highbeams at other cars , charge is just about using highbeams in traffic.

9. The only thing I can think is a council ranger might give you a fine for the sign, but more likely he'd just take it away.

10. I thought they had to post signs warning everyone that "camera's operate in this area".

Is that just a NZ thing?

11. NZ thing.
    In Victoria they like to hide cameras so that 'people don't know where they are and will slow down out of fear'.

12. ...or run into another vehicle ahead from constantly checking one's speedo...](*,)

13. Hence the "pass" switch on bikes. Though if you use it for that you usually just end up with some cock head in a car behind you trying to get "revenge" by blinding you with their highbeams (sometimes it's good to have mirrors not attached to the bars that you can adjust whilst riding ;)).

14. The warning sign has to be there in NSW too. When they first bought the new private speed cameras in they tried without it, but the government realised there was more votes in having the sign. The couple I have seen have been right next to the vehicle.

15. they hide here too, the other week one was behind a stobie (telegraph) pole...

Twas quite comical actually. Was like the cartoon "i'm hiding behind a stick with my eyes closed", I can't see you, you can't see me. But everyone could see this fat copper in blue shirt with a speed gun peeking out from behind it :D

16. Or they're really smart about it and knock the sign over, oops how did that happen :|