Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

how un-retarded do you need to be to diy minor service?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Lobsta, Aug 22, 2008.

1. yeah, the title says it all. how easy is it to do your own minor service? what is involved in them? for a gpx250r.

2. I'm completely retarded, and I do all my own minor and major servicing.

It's real easy, just try to get a torrent of the service manual.
  3. you can be pretty damn retarded and still get it done fine.

Buy a workshop manual, make sure you have the tools required for the job and follow the steps to the letter.

Do that and you CANNOT get it wrong.

Youll save a heap of cash and youll get to know your bike a little better, also the satisfaction of starting it up afterwards and it running fine is awesome.
  4. See if you can get someone who is experienced to show you the ropes first, c'mon QLD Netriders! :grin:
  5. PM me and i'll fill you in.. is not even half a piece of p!ss.. i am easily one of the most retarded people i know so you can trust my words. i have a cd manual that you are welcome to a copy of.
  6. Hey Lobby... its not too hard :)
    +1 to grabbing a manual and following the instructions. Having someone thats done some servicing is awesomely helpful too
  7. On a GPX 250, if you can fog a mirror, you can do regular maintenence.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. i can fog the windows of a car... :smileysex: does that count? :LOL: :LOL:
  9. Heya lob,

If you don't mind making the trek I'm out at Park Ridge and I've got plenty of space (in or out of sun on concrete). Tools... I have mostly from cars but I'm sure most would work being... tools.

Minor service etc... should be easy as pie. Personally do the far majority of my services for my cars (only don't when lacking time).

So yeah, I'll give a hand if needed but it's really easy as pie but after reading your post about the olds I'm sure it's not something you want them to see too much (especially if you spill oil everywhere lol).
  10. Mega easy. Just when screwing back in the oil sump plug, don't overtighten it - it only needs about 2 full turns after its finger tight. You don't want to overtighten it as it will strip the thread pretty easily.. apparently :oops:
  11. I know from the little things I have done on cars, the trick is not so much knowing what to do, its having the right tools to do it. Buy a decent set of tools and your halfway there. I did an oil change on the bike the other afternoon, the first bike oil change I have ever done (done quite a few on my car though) and it was literally a 30 minute job. 20 minutes of which was spent finding a 17m socket, 5 minutes of which was spent waiting for the oil to drain.
  12. I've seen guys here do a pretty fair job in servicing their own bikes. And most of them are pretty retarded. If they can do it you can.