Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to turn

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Dannylau, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Hey all.
    New to forum, new rider.

Just took my first ever bike homda cbr250r out for its first and my first highway ride. Live out Ipswich way in qld took the back highway to springfield was going great, allsasudden heavy rain out of nowhere, damn ice felt like needles when it hit my textile jacket lol. Called off the ride to Mt Cootha and fanged it back along the ipswich motorway and cunningham highway back to yamanto. Took my corner slightly too wide and veered from right lane into left lane...could of gotten taken out by a car, thankfully there was none there and none in that lane turning. Could of been a bad first highway ride for me. Because of the nerves stalled it at the next 2 lights lol.

Tldr - new rider. First highway ride. Piercing rain. Takes corner too wide and ends up in left lane. Thinks dun goofed rip. Thankfully no cars. Am safe and feel dumb

2. I used to ride that way when I first got my license. Nearly got run over by a truck by my own stupidity :confused: but anyway... You learn and being your first ride you should probably find a slightly smaller road to get your practice.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome, hope your first ride doesn't scare you off.
    If you go to the resources menu, and pick the "literature" category and then "riding" you will find threads on cornering called Noob 101, Noob 102, Noob 103 and Noob 104.
    Here's the first one. Read it carefully, practice what it says and you will find it helps. If you can get yourself on some further rider training that will help more.

Noob 101: Minimum cornering technique
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I meant ride on that part of the highway :rolleyes:
  5. My policy is to approach the corner/bend at a slower speed than what you expect is safe and then as your doing your turn you can increase your speed if wanted.
  6. Just have to keep your brain in the motorcycle mode and out of driving a car mode. We can be lazy driving cars heading into a corner a little hot.....just put the brakes on through the corner. More down force on the front = better steering etc.

Don't have that luxury on the bike.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. You all ready said it, you rode beyond your ability and/or tyres in the wet. Back off and live. Don't wanna get wet, find a servo or 7-11 to suck down a drink of whatever. If you have to press home, then take it easy in the wet. Carry some rain gear and don it and ride home at a sane pace, don't try to beat the rain. Most bike tyres aint that good in the wet.

Ride on.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Take a rider training course like California bike school
    Next time you might not be so lucky.
    Slow in fast out
    Be safe brother
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gday DannylauDannylau welcome to NR - take it easy brother, the best ride is always the next one. take your time and learn the craft.
  10. This is spot on. Your bike will feel better with a little bit of throttle in the corner and will be easier to turn. You can then increase cornering speed as you gain more confidence.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. California Superbike School, best rider training available on this planet. They teach you the technology and the technique of steering a bike. The two most important things to learn are: 1 Countersteering - Its the only way to steer a single track two wheeled vehicle. 2 Throttle control. There are many other things to learn but these will get you most of the way there. If you can't afford their school now, get the book and video "A twist of the wrist 2" at about $20 each on Amazon, it's the best investment you will ever make for improving your riding technique and enjoyment.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. Just look where you want to go mate and it will magically happen. Relax handle bars and grip tank with knees Take the bends at slower speed.
    Don't worry about people behind you they will pass you on the straight. Learn one thing at a time.

Learn turning for a week, slow down by rolling off the throttle, next week try to go a bit faster and slow down with brakes before a turn before leaning.

Week after modulate both brakes and throttle depending on corner.

Will be a steep learning curve first six months but you will get there.

Track days can come later when you have the basics.
    And also stay off busy roads. You can practice turning on quite roundabouts if you don't have nice roads near by. Good luck.
  13. DannylauDannylau is a new rider so CSS may be a bit beyond him at this stage however agree that rider training would help - Stay Upright Cornering and Braking Course is a good one.
  14. Read up as much as you can on cornering.

ALWAYS look where you want to go to, not at the apex.

Practice, practice, practice
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. better cornering makes you a more competent and confident rider - going fast in a straight line is a small part of road riding
  16. As all above. Slow before corner, tip in (countersteer so push on the bar in the direction you want to turn) amd when you have your correct lean angle then crack open throttle somewhat (not full) and keep that steady through the corner. Important not to try change direction and speed at once. And ffs whatever you do, if you're overcooking it and thinking "oh shit I'm too fast ", you need to tip further into the corner and stay on the throttle rather than braking and pulling the bike upright which can result in crossing into the opposite lane. If there's a car there you're rooted. And take it easy mate, you can't become Rossi in a day...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. It even took Rossi two days.......:p
  18. get comfortable and watch this DannylauDannylau keep a note pad and pen handy
  19. Do you mean, "don't fixate on the apex" or "don't ever look at the apex"? Because the second one sounds wrong to me.
  20. Don't fixate on the apex. As you turn in, you need to know where the apex is so that you are heading towards the apex. Once you know that you will hit the apex, you need to look ahead for your exit point. You need to keep changing your reference points so you look ahead and have somewhere to head to. If you look down or too close in front of you, you will lose confidence and not know where you are headed.