Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to take a corner fast but safely?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mini_chew90, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Hey guys, just on her for a bit of a vent.
    I'm a fairly new rider I have my P's and have done about 1700 kms on my cbr125r my first bike. Today on my way to school I had my first crash. I was coming down Hotham road and turning left into Glen Eira road. I was coming into the corner at a reasonable speed I done all the braking before hand, it was fastish but nothing that I felt unsafe. I was looking out of the corner and spoting well ahead. Then about half way through the corner my front end just lost grip and then the bike slipped from underneth me. I slid into the oncoming lane but luckly their light was red and me and the bike slid inbetween two cars. I am alright a bit of kelvar burn on my knee but other then that i'm fine. I was pretty shock up. I am gratful that I was wearing the full gear, shift leather jacket, shift kevlar jeans (they both work great) and riding boots. My bike was surprisingly good. Indicator broken, craked fairing, bent gear lever.

Anyhow I know it was fully my fault I came in to hot with cold tyres but anyway is there alike a proper techniqe I can do to take a corner fast but safely. for example maybe shifting my wieght further back or something? Or would it help to maybe get some softer tyres (I heard the stock ones are pretty dogey). Anyway thanks for the thoughts.

2. It's impossible to know without actually seeing the crash. Assuming you've eliminated faulty bike, contaminated road surface, bumps etc.?

Maybe you just found the limit of adhesion of the 'crappy' stock tyre? maybe you dug a hard part of the bike into the tar? Maybe you still had front brake on unconsciously? Gripping too hard with rigid arms? It's impossible to know without seeing it.

Where was your weight? (I wouldn't be pushing it to the back, BTW!) Do you lean off and keep the bike more upright? What were you doing with the throttle at the time?

It's just too hard without more information.
  3. You need to read THIS
  4. Yeh suppose. I came in with a steady hand and was not touching the front brake. The road surface was nice and smooth dry. To be honest it felt like I had to much wieght on my front tyre and yeh I wasn't doing anything different then I do usaly do. not sure what think I'm just really surprised.
  5. As Titus said...it's nearly impossible to know what happened without knowing alot more.
    You need to go over every second of the ride, and try to identify what could have caused you to lose the front end.

In general...it could be tyre pressures, the tyres themselves, too much gas too early, or just too much overall speed with poor basic techniques.
    With your relatively short time on the bike, it could simply have been just lack of experience...no probs there...it takes time to get that, and you are ok, the bikes not too bad, and you WILL remember today for the rest of your riding career. It's no fun to hear it, I know, but you will learn heaps from it in the long run, mate.

6. you know that rolling off the throttle has the same effect as braking? weight transfers to the front and if you were close to the traction limit off you go. read twist of the wrist 2.
  7. It's tough when you can't pinpoint the mistake - it plays havoc with confidence. Still would prefer to have seen it, but I'll offer one possible explanation (don't take it as gospel).

Turning in from the outside of your lane, the action should ideally be a firm, short but controlled push on the inside bar. This does not mean pressure on the bar throughout the entire corner. a fairly quick push should get the bike leaned over almost instantly, and you should be able to hold that lean with hardly any further pushing. Body position helps you hold the line here.

I have seen some people continue pushing down (used to do it myself!). Effectively, what that is doing is continuing to tighten the line and the end result is you literally push the bike down until it falls over. I've seen this happen a few times. Maybe this accounts for your feeling of too much weight on the front?

Again, the turn in should be a single, short action, not continuing pressure. I can't know if this is what you did, but it's at least worth thinking about. It's better than having NO answers...

(Generally, weight over the front is not a bad thing - it should actually improve front traction. But that's more related to where you position your butt. You should avoid putting too much weight on your wrists.)
  8. glad you are ok.

I guess it could have been the cold tyres? I know my stock cold tyres are not that great. Even from engine braking on a straight they can get a bit twitchy.
  9. Plan your entry that you can throttle as soon as possible. Which means slower entry speed, then roll on the throttle. Seems like you're still slowing down while taking the corner. Fine on cars, not on bikes.
  10. Step 1: change your avatar from a red #1 to a yellow #46, you'll feel more skilful and less whiney straight away.

Step 2: do forty thousand kays on your motorbike, you'll have it sussed by then.
  11. Sounds like shit tyres coupled with a bit of confidence to me.

Nothing wrong with confidently entering a corner. Everything wrong when the tyres let you down because of it.
  12. Glad that you are not broken.

The road is definately the worst place to practice these sort of things. There is no run-off/kittly litter to break your fall and you can run into incoming traffic.

But to take a corner at speed, you have to set up your speed first, before going into the corner. So you brake before you commit into the corner . The line that you follow has a important effect on your speed. If your line is good, the distance travelled will be straighter thus shorter.

Then there is lean and hanging off to allow you to maintain some kind of high speed in the corner.
  13. tyres make a BIG difference as well... tyres with a sharper profile allow you maintain your line better

and sticker tyres minimizes the chances of the tyre slipping under
  14. :shock:
    For a moment there I thought you were going to suggest he do it again .. on video :p

Seriously, glad you were not badly hurt. Take heed in what the others have said.
  15. I agree with the others, it is impossible to tell without seeing the fall but there are a couple of things to remember.

1) Your St. Christopher's medal is working so keep it.

2) Tyres are often the main problem with low sides (losing the front) as previously stated Tyre pressures are critical on most bikes and good quality tyres are always a good start but other things could have contributed to your fall.

I know the corner very well as I work at the Hospital just down from it and I have never considered it a problem corner.

Could you check your tyre pressures and compare the readings to the recommended pressure and get back to us?
  16. Am I the only one who thinks the OP thought he was much better than he is? It sounds like an over confidence issue to me.
    He has now found the limit of a combination of things.
  17. Were your tyres proeprly inflated?

Were you accelerating through the corner? if not be sure you were not drifting around after you let the throttle off (which is as bad as braking) because you are pushing the front tyre to the limit of traction.

Apart from that consider the camber of the road and the fact that you might have been too hot for an acute turn
  18. It's a 125 with skinny, hard tyres and a tiny, lightweight body. Combine that with a larger person, body position not ideal for the bike, lack of experience with the bike, inexperienced use of judgement (ie, still developing what is what and where I think I am compared to where things really are).

I ride with my judgement first, skills second - all the farking time (well, as much as I am aware of). I'll only be bumping up my riding on 'skills' (as opposed to primarily riding on judgement) when I get on a track (if I get on a track - though it is likely that I will :).

We make assumptions on the road all the time. We assume that we got it right, that our judgement was correct.

Read some books that can give you insight into the mechanics of riding, the shit that blocks your skill and judgement, and which causes you to fail to apply your experience, skill and judgement.

I recommend "A Twist of the Wrist II", by Keith Code. Plus "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch (lots of stuff on riding in urban environments).
  19. I recommend OP gets out and rides more. Reading books does not make one a motorcycle rider. Much like standing in a carport, doesnt make one a car.
  20. +1 Joel
    Nothing beats the right type of saddle-time, however, IMHO, I do believe that lots of 'reading' also helps 'cement' correct tecniques into your head.

.. but then WTF do I know :oops: