Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to suspend the rear wheel safely

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by BRD007, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hi,

I need to clean my chain and re-lubricate it but im kinda having issues trying to suspend the rear wheel so it can spin freely and I can do what I need to do with the chain.

I haven't got a racing stand, also haven't got a centre stand.

Does anyone know how I can get this rear wheel suspended and at the same time clean and lubricate the chain?

I would like to be able to get it done this afternoon because I want to go on a big ride on saturday. Any and all help will be much appriciated.

Thank You

2. I have a GT650 and I lift it with a trolley jack inside where the center stand mounts.
  3. Trolley jack, if incorrectly used can cause the bike to tip, fall or crush something.

Do you have access to another person? If so, the easiest way is to have the bike on the sidestand and bring the bike into your waist using the side stand as a pivot. The rear wheel will lift off the ground and the 2nd person can then spin the rear wheel and apply the lube.

Another (simple) way is to simple find a flat piece of road (driveway) and apply the lube to the bottom of the chain, wheel the bike forwards or backwards until the entire length of the chain has been lubricated.
  4. Checkout the pic here -> https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=486497&highlight=patent*#486497

It's the "one man" jerry built version of what Cejay said. You can probably do something a tad more stable... like, insert a suitably threaded LONG bolt in the swing arm pick up on the OPPOSITE side to the side stand, and lift the bike a smidge with a jack applied to the bolt.

The bolt thread MUST be compatible or else you will damage the thread on the swing arm. DO NOT FORGET to lock of the front brake with a zip tie (or similar)... or else it's going to get very nasty!
  5. Not sure whats so wrong with the trolley jack idea, the bikes is supported by the front wheel, side stand, and the jack. I only difference I can see between mine and cejay's plan is that I don't need to get my 11 year old oily. The only "safe" way is a track stand or center stand really...
  6. Oh yeah, that's a safe way of doing it! :LOL:
    OK, trolley jack could be a risk if you're not careful. But I've been using this method for years with no problem. Just use common sense, put it under the swingarm if possible and only lift it as far as it needs to get movement.
    Cejay, the only reason I laugh is your suggestion reminded me of watching a couple of guys get into an awful mess trying to do exactly this. Fortunately only bruises resulted.
    A certain European make has been known to crack engine cases this way, too.
  7. Coz I've had a bike fall over with a trolley jack. Bitter experience :( If you're confident, know what your'e doing and feel comfortable, great. But the OP doesn't sound as though that's all going on (no offence intended).
  8. So two people working on a bike this way are less safe than raising the back wheel of a bike with a trolley jack, by yourself with no other support? I don't think either way is ideal, but beggars can't be choosers. And why on earth would someone do that with a BMW or a Guzzi?
  9. If you had enough cash for a BMW or a Guzzi surely you could afford a track stand?
  10. So do you guyz think that I could use a car jack and at the same time get someone to balance it?

Cause if I use the side stand, I need to hold it up and I dont have anyone to clean the chain and then re-oil it.

Could my suggestion be a possible solution to my problem, or is it impossible?

Im worried my idea will not be probably because of the fairings and such.
  11. Left hand on handlebar, right hand over onto pillion footpeg mount, lift the bike up onto the sidestand in neutral and have a friend spray the lube on while rotating the back wheel. Bring it to a coffee night and somebody will show you how if you're not sure.

The other option is to use "race crates" - get two milk crates, put one under the right hand side of the swingarm when the bike's on its stand, then lift the bike up so it's resting on that one and push another one under the swingarm on the left side while it's up. I use two old speakers I've got in my garage. This technique copyright (c) Deano the PNUT.

Honestly though, I dunno what Titus is worried about, I lift all my bikes up on the sidestand, spin 'em around, all sorts of stuff without any issues. Centrestands rock, but if you don't have one that's the easiest way. The bike balances very manageably on the sidestand.
  12. Oh, and having said all that, I'm pretty keen to get a race stand before too long... :p
  13. Buy, borrow or build PIX HERE a race stand. Problem solved for ever.
  14. apply oil - move bike forwards - apply oil - move bike forwards...

that's how you oil the chain :)

or buy a race stand - i ended up getting the rats with doing that after a while, race stands are only around $100
  15. Before I had race stands, I used to use a car jack no problems.

Just use a piece of wood between the jack and bike, and go slowly at first.
  16. Depends I s'pose. One sensible person with a car jack v two numpties stumbling over their own feet? Or the other way 'round.
    I guess I'm just assuming the guy may not have a "friend" handy. It will no doubt depend on the geomentry of the bike, too. All I'm saying is that I've had no problems, but a different model may be less stable.
    (It was a Duc, as I understand it, but now that I think about it they were doing the complete rotation on the sidestand thing).
  17. Has anyone here used the Tommy Jack? It looks like a nice neat little stand.
  18. Rebuild time, I have used a series of chains, thick rags (surface protectors), and an engine jack to suspend the bike to do the forks and both tyres at the same time. Tubular frame models, tank removed, jack up about 30 degrees, build wood up unernieth the rear x-member, let the bike down onto it, and voila, suspended bike.

Though might be a bit exteme to do the chain... :p