Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

How to soften my boots

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Lina, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I'm a newbie, have only gotten my licence a couple of months ago and barely on the bike but I've got all my gear. I don't wear my boots though, I ride in my joggers. I find I can only touch the ground with my tippy toes with the boots on however I can get the pad of my foot almost down when I wear my joggers.

Any suggestions on how to soften them other than wearing them around the house? Someone suggested wearing the in the bathtub and soaking them, then walking around for a while but I don't know if I wanna do that. They're Dainese & cost a fair bit.

Would appreciate any advice.

2. Oil the outside of them with leather oil, then get a pile of wet newspaper and jam them full of it. Give it a day and take it out and then fill them up with dry newspaper for a day.
    Take that out and let them dry completely and hopefully they will hold the stretched size. Lil squirt of something like glen 20 to make sure no water borne stuff settles in (shouldnt that quick...).

Never tried it with multi layer strong riding boots, but works with new work boots.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Douse them in white vinegar for a bit, or soak them in water and go for a good walk. I think I recall folk saying the army do that water soaking walk thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Just walk around in them until you get use to it. That's what I do.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The problem is not that the boots are too hard, its just that you're too soft.

Well, you did say you'd appreciate any advice. Just get out there and ride.
  6. Lina, welcome and all of the above OR go to a shoe maker and have them strech the boots [a little]
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dubbin leather treatment.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. My local shoe shop sells stuff you spray on the INSIDE of boots which softens/stretches the leather, can't remember its name, though :(
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah maybe - lol!
  10. Put the boots on, stand feet together and practice lifting your heels off the ground.
  11. Wear them when you get home from work and keep wearing them for a few hours. Walk around the house, stretch etc so they can be broken-in easily.

That's what I did.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wear them more.

For some reason I read 'boobs' instead of 'boots', obviously a massage would be fine in that instance.

It may work with your boots, too...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I wore mine for 4hrs straight around the house and mowing etc - they're well and truly broken in!

I say just wear 'em :)

Sent via iPhone
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Make sure you didn't get boots too small/thin though. better to return/sell those instead of trying to break them in.

Sent using Llama-talk via Telepathy
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dont be a biatch just ride n wear em. you will be way worse off snapping your ankle because your wearing running shoes.
  16. Skidmore's Leather Cream - Biker Edition. Then just wear them, lots.
  17. I have the same problem.
    Bought a replacement pair, same model, same type, same size.
    Unfortunately (yes I know, every single boot is or can be slightly different) while the right boot is just like the old ones, my left boot has a tight spot that doesn't seem to want to 'wear in' any further.
    I remember talk of a leathers and boot place in hawthorn someplace (Melbourne).
    Can anyone give the name of it again, please?. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. British soldier in WW1 used urine to soften leather but I assume that something less "on the nose" is available these days ;)

When I bought my Sidi MX boots (back in the early 80's), I used Dubin as both a softener and protector.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. piss on them.....

its what the ww1 soldiers did.......

(edit, just saw post above)
  20. Urine in boots was also to kill tinea and other crap that ate your toes.